Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Transmission - picture - Help!

92 YJ manual tranmission. I am leaking a lot of tranmission gear oil. It is coming from two places. First, it is dripping out of the bellhousing that attaches to the tranny. The leak is inside the bellhousing area and is dripping out of the bellhousing.

Second, I can see a slight leak from the outside of the transmission where the bellhousing meets the tranny. So it seems like the leak is visible both from the outside and also exists on the inside of the bellhousing in the same basic place.

Could this simply be a seal? You can see where it is leaking in the picture. And I am sure it is gear oil.

Click this link for a picture:

www.tylerlaw.com/Leak.JPG
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

If its trans oil then for the first one I would say front input shaft seal. Someone might need to correct me on this one, but I think the bellhousing is seperate from the tranny. So most likely its the same leak, just spread out. HTH.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have a Haynes manual. How hard would it be for me to change the front seal myself? And that was my thought as well, Dukes69. Same leak showing in two places--but the same seal involved for both.
      92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
        I have a Haynes manual. How hard would it be for me to change the front seal myself? And that was my thought as well, Dukes69. Same leak showing in two places--but the same seal involved for both.
        the hardest part would be getting the tranny out. Seals are usually pretty easy to do.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The seal job isn't that hard, the main prob is going to be manouvering it around the exhaust... that and having to unbolt everything.. just don't forget to unplug the reverse switch, took me a month to realise i'd pulled mine out!
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
          X