Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky passanger side?

The passanger side of my '90 Wrangler gets a puddle on the floor board..............any suggestions or ideas????

my tj did that to, when I lived where there was a bit more precipitation. I don't have any ideas about stopping it... how about you remove the passenger side drain plug???
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Here' a list of FAQ's that I found while surfing the net. It addresses that problem. I hope it helps.

http://users2.ev1.net/~nlhoyt/Jeep/TJFAQ/TJFAQ.htm
      1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Sam, I cant access that link for some reason but I will keep trying....thanks. Blk, there are two big globs of caulking under the mat.......could the be the drain plugs?? maybe I could remove them and problem solved.

Comment

Jr.,

here is what the article said from the site. I was able to access from the link, don't know why it didn't work for you

Q: Why do I have a puddle of water on the passenger side floor?

A: There are several causes for this. One of the most common is water draining from the A/C onto the passenger side floor. It is most common when the A/C is on and you have been driving at a high speed for a while when it is real humid outside. There is a drain hose in the firewall that sticks straight out and the air keeps the water from draining out of the hose, so instead it drains inside. There is a TSB from Jeep on this, so it is a known problem. If your still under warranty, go to the dealer and they will fix it for free. If your out of warranty, you can either go to the dealer and buy the hose ($5-10) and install it yourself or just find any 3/4" hose and stick it on like in THIS PICTURE.

There is also another common cause for this, the drain hose may be clogged up with mud/debris. Just take a blunt stick (a unsharpened pencil or a chopstick work very well) and stick it into the tube and make sure it is clean. You should do this before you put the elbow on to make sure it is not clogged up.

These are not the only causes that can create the water on the floor. The windshield seal can be leaking (usualy only happens if you have folded down the windshield), the seal around the door could be leaking, or the cowl drain (under the vent hole just behind the hood, can be fixed by taking a waterhose and try to flush out any gunk in there. If it is real bad, you will need to remove the cowl and clean it out with your hands).

Comment

Thanks man,that helps alot. I got some bad advice from another site............I was told to flush out the vent in front of the windshield and guess what? When I turn it sounds like I have a water trough in front of me and leaks even worse!! Hope it evaporates!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I get a puddle on the DRIVER's side! It used to be just when I parked on an incline, but it leaked during these storms. I had the cowl replaced (2000 when it was brand new), but it still leaked. I took out the mats, taped newspaper all over and then showed the dealer where the water trails were coming from. Still not fixed! I got tired and decided it wasn't that big a deal..... except when the carpets stink!

Any suggestions for the driver's side?
              Thanx!
              Cat
              Some girls like it rough!

Comment

Cat, I haven't heard of or experienced water on the driver side yet. If I do I'll post it. Sorry I couldn't help you on this one. If someone has I'm sure they will chime in

Comment

Mine was doing this on both driver and passenger side. Myproblem was the seal between the windshield and the body. Called the Cowl? It is the seal in the joint where the windshield folds down. My seal was a foam rubber type of stuff. They are $110 at the dealer. I went to Home Depot and got weatherstripping, folded down the windshield, removed the old rotted seal and layered the weather stripping in place of the old seal, folded the windshield up and that was it. No more leak. total cost: $9.58.
                  92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

I got the leak too, did the AC drain hose thing and still get a little there but here's a new place, in the rear passenger side. Seema to be comming from under the Sports bar mount via the wheel well off the tire when it rains or after washing. Had it all apart thought I found it comming from the two front lower flare mounting screw holes. Put a seal there but it's still comming in from somewhere. About to give up in defeat unless someone has ideas. I'll try one more time and let you know if I can cure this one, mold is not a smell I'd like inside.

B&T TJ

Comment

for the leaks in my 01 tj, i just ripped out all the carpet and leave the drain plugs out. as soon as the weather is a little warmer and nice i'll be lining my tub with Herculiner to prevent rust and what not. between the rips in my roof and lack of good door seals, i gave up, its a jeep, not a mercedes. anyway, that's how i look at it, good luck.
                      Neil

FOR SALE: 01 TJ Sport
                      5 spd, 4in skyjacker, 33mt/rs, detroit rear, lock-rite front, 4.56's, safari snorkel, yada yada yada, im broke

Comment

yah... the cowl was the first thing they replaced (and got silicone all over my brand new jeep!! >: ( Then they later found a plug missing in the firewall. Then I pulled out all the carpet and lined the driver's side w/ newspaper (gets darker when wet) and traced the water flow up the left side and under the dash.... sent the mechanics there but they still couldn't find anything. So, I'm just living with it and drop the top on the first sunny day after a rain. My carpets only smell bad when wet. No lingering oders when dry.
                        Some girls like it rough!

Comment

Working...
                        X