Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires on tailgate??

Any truth to the rumor that a bigger spare tire will tear the sheet metal on the tail gate(1990 wrangler). I could spring for a Warn tire carrier, but I can think of funner things to buy for my Jeep. Anyone ever experianced this??

I have never seen one tear the sheet metal, but I have seen them sag over time.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
      Any truth to the rumor that a bigger spare tire will tear the sheet metal on the tail gate(1990 wrangler). I could spring for a Warn tire carrier, but I can think of funner things to buy for my Jeep. Anyone ever experianced this??
      Its not so much the sheet metal, but the hinges on YJ's are very weak. Thats the point of failure. I think there is a company that makes a re-informent kit, maybe try Quadratec.com.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

would you like me to post a picture of a tailgate that has had the sheet metal rip all over the place because of a 33" tire?
        my wifes jeep has this problem. it rips, i weld it shut... it rips again, and i weld it some more.

so, to answer your question with some first hand experience... YES. it can rip the sheet metal.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks guys...................I guess the answer is obvious!!

Comment

if you didnt already know it... dukes 69 is making custom bumpers. check out his stuff.
            www.rock-itman.com
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

his stuff loks very sturdy! i shall be buying a rear bumper from him mine is all bent out of shape
              Carlos

92 YJ
              GO VEGAN!
              volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

JC FAB AND DESIGN thats all i have to say
                DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X