Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Spring

Last week end did a Rubicon trip. My left rear coil spring came out of the bottom plate where it was almost hitting my brake line. I've done a lot of wheeling including the Rubicon before and this is the first time it's ever happened. I jacked up the rear-end and set it back in place, and I was able to get out with no other issue. Is there a quick but permanent fix for this without having to spend lots of money? Since it's only happened once I really don't want to put on limit straps.....any ideas?

Limit straps are cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by Hook&Ladder View Post
      Limit straps are cheap!
      Like I said I don't want limit straps..........there's got to be a better way

Comment

You could put retainers on the bottom side to center and keep it while it unseats from the top. Understand that once a spring has become unseated any further articulation is pointless. If you just want the look of being some super flexy jeep then go for it. A smart off-roader will use limiting straps lengthened long enough so that as soon as it unseats it will catch w/the straps. May I ask why you don't want straps?
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Ive always felt that straps are more for the KOH rock racer type rigs. I just would like to keep it the way it is without doing another addition to help another.... seems like there would be a better way. I'm not sure what is the protcols for limit straps... think I read an inch or so shorter then your shock fully extended? "I'm not sure on that one" I could be wrong. Do they bolt vertical with shock? I suppose if I tact a weld one the top and bottom of the coil I'd end up breaking a shock at sometime. Maybe I just need to learn more about limit strapping for just slow rock crawling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
            Ive always felt that straps are more for the KOH rock racer type rigs. I just would like to keep it the way it is without doing another addition to help another.... seems like there would be a better way. I'm not sure what is the protcols for limit straps... think I read an inch or so shorter then your shock fully extended? "I'm not sure on that one" I could be wrong. Do they bolt vertical with shock? I suppose if I tact a weld one the top and bottom of the coil I'd end up breaking a shock at sometime. Maybe I just need to learn more about limit strapping for just slow rock crawling.
            usually straps are used to prevent the shock from acting as the travel limiter. You dont want your shock maxing out and holding the weight. That's how you kill a shock real fast. If all your concerned with is the coil not falling out, you need to keep the coil from falling out. 3 ways of doing that. Limit your travel to its useful cycle, get coilovers, get some retainers on the bottom . Simple as putting in a circular plate at the bumpstop. You dont want to do both ends, just the bottom. That's the only way I can think of you keeping your "flex" and not losing a spring. Regardless whether you use retainer ring or the bolt one retainer, your still gonna have it fall out at the top.
            Me, I'd get some straps run them on the inside of the coils and set it up so you get as much flex as you want without losing the spring. Drill a hole in the frame, weld up a sleeve and bolt it in, weld a tab at the bottom and your done.... Think further down line instead of an immediate solution. It'll save you in the long run.
            Last edited by brokenujoint; 11-15-13, 09:31 PM.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I myself have limit straps an inch shorter than the shock length because, good flex took its toll on one of my Bilstein shocks out in Cougar Buttes.

Steve
              All slow and no show

Comment

Yea, a simple bent piece of flat bar and a bolt will hold it in! That's probably the cheapest route.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Thanks for all the input, Brokenu - thanks for the pics I have a much better idea what I'm going to do now.

Comment

Is your rear swaybar hooked up? That generally keeps the rear springs from falling out

Comment

Just went out to check that sway bar, yes it is hooked-up and appears to be fine. I believe my rear sways are stock.

Comment

Working...
                      X