Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridges on the way out. Guess I have too much toe in. Thanks for the tip B&T TJ
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Somebody must have the link for the"shade tree toe in" manuver.

Comment

the best way to do it is to jack up the front end, score the tires with lines for measurement, lower jeep and drive back and forth to straighten tires.

The distance from the lines in front of the tire should be 1/8" less than the distance in the back(at the center of the tire).
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I started having "death shake" at 70 mph also then it started at 45-50 mph. Would it matter if have quick disconects? I checked the toe, it is off approx 1/8 of an inch, just replaced the stering stabalizer, and everything seems to be tight. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoy
            I started having "death shake" at 70 mph also then it started at 45-50 mph. Would it matter if have quick disconects? I checked the toe, it is off approx 1/8 of an inch, just replaced the stering stabalizer, and everything seems to be tight. Any other suggestions?
            From what I've gathered, double check your track bar and contol arms to make sure everything is still tight. My track bar was a lttle loose and my toe-in was way off. I tightened everything up and adjusted my toe, and that fixed it for a while, but now its starting to get a shimmy between 40-50mph so I'm going to check my toe again and adjust it.
            04 Rubicon
            4.5" RE Super Flex
            1" BL
            CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
            Currie Anti-rock swaybar
            35" el cheapos
            Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Ah yes the never ending battle of the death wobble. I found my toe in gets messed up alot, mainly after I hit a trail. :confused2

Originally posted by brian4.2
              Somebody must have the link for the"shade tree toe in" manuver.
              Oh and here's a shade tree link
              Shade tree alignment
              [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
              [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
                Ah yes the never ending battle of the death wobble. I found my toe in gets messed up alot, mainly after I hit a trail. :confused2

Oh and here's a shade tree link
                Shade tree alignment

Mine does too. It is a little better with the Currie steering, but it is usually out every time I hit a difficult trail.
                olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I got death wobble too

Mine starts about 40 mph. Have rotated the tires, replaced tie rod and ends, had it aligned. What is the trackbar and where is it located?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser
                    Mine starts about 40 mph. Have rotated the tires, replaced tie rod and ends, had it aligned. What is the trackbar and where is it located?
                    The trackbar keeps the axle centered under the vehicle or vehicle centered over the axle(I not the smartest or best describer). It is located behind the draglink. It's mounted to the axle housing on the passenger side and runs behind everything else in an upward direction to where it mounts to the frame. It runs parrallel(sp) with the draglink, or close to it anyway.

I can post pics when I get home in the morning unless someone else chimes in that has a pic readily available.
                    04 Rubicon
                    4.5" RE Super Flex
                    1" BL
                    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                    35" el cheapos
                    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

As suggested above, set your toe-in to 1/8". And while having the trackbar and drag link parallel to each other is desireable because it keeps bump steer from developing, it has nothing to do with Death Wobble.

Check that your front tire balance is perfect (no tolerance here!) and that the passenger-side trackbar is TIGHT and torqued to the factory specified 74 ft-lbs. Even if it's loose enough to cause Death Wobble, it will seldom feel loose just by grabbing it with your hand.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Ive had death wobble with three jeeps and every one of them seemed to be a different problem but always ended up being the Caster. Most alignment shops adjust to factory specs which is not possible with a lift. The more lift you go the more Caster your off, which in turn throws your toe off. Passenger caster is usually out a litte more that driver side due to curve of roads. I'll try to post the alignment specs I used on my 5" lift tomorrow.

Comment

Set the toe-in to 1/8" and for a 4.5" lift height, 5.5 degrees of Caster angle is about right. More than that (like if you went for the full 7 degree factory spec) and front driveshaft vibration is a likely outcome. Much less than that and steering will be twitchy and tend to wander.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X