Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got the Death Wobble

it's official, i've got the death wobble.

what a scary thing! pants go brown on the freeway in the second lane going 70mph!

since adding the lift the trackbar was never adjusted, and since it's rusted solid (thanks to the midwest) rick is working on greasing it and getting it loose. i guess i need an alignment too.

bah.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Toe in BABY TOE IN !

Comment

Re: I've got the Death Wobble

Originally posted by sarah
      it's official, i've got the death wobble.

what a scary thing! pants go brown on the freeway in the second lane going 70mph!

since adding the lift the trackbar was never adjusted, and since it's rusted solid (thanks to the midwest) rick is working on greasing it and getting it loose. i guess i need an alignment too.

bah.
      FUN!!! Aint it I have some pretty bad death wobble in my XJ after I lifted it. I replaced alot of stuff . . . All the steering components - didnt fix it. Balanced the tires - didnt fix it. Replaced the track bar with a JKS track bar - fixed it! I would check to see if your tires are balanced. Check all your steering componnts. Check the Track Bar. I've also found that worn out control arms bushing can cause death wobble.

Becareful!! I couldnt slam on my brakes fast enough to get that pile stopped

Hope that helped
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Good advice from both of you guys. Jim, you sound like my dad. TOE IN. He says that all the time. Toe IN, since the suspension will settle once the Jeep gets going and the tires will Toe Out a little, does that sound right??

Comment

cool beans! i'll get right on to fixing this myself tonite! ummm, wait, rick's out of town. LOL now i can call mine a HEEP too!! i guess at 70k miles, she's getting up there. :oink:

Comment

70K that's all, when I sold my XJ, it had over 207K, and it's still being driven. But all Jeeps are Heeps, aren't they??? I know mine has lovingly been called a Heep more than once.

Comment

when i got it, she had 26k - that was exactly 2 years ago this june 2003. dayum! been a good heep!! LOL

Comment

YEAH, check yor alignment too. You should have some toe-in already since you did your lift. I run a tape across the front of the tire, measure at a casting mark, write down the measurment. Goto the back of the tire, measure, write down. I try to get the front of the tire turned in about an 1/8th of an inch (toe-in). Reason for that is when you accelerate the wheels want to goto a toe-out condition. Having the wheels toe'd-in a little allows them to turn out and point straight down the road.

I think
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

wow, you guys are so smart. i love this board. although i am biased, i still do. jim and rick already did the measuring thing. it's way off i guess. beats me, maybe they'll log in and list my problems. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    wow, you guys are so smart. i love this board. although i am biased, i still do. jim and rick already did the measuring thing. it's way off i guess. beats me, maybe they'll log in and list my problems. LOL
                    WHERE ARE THOSE GUYS!!! At work or something sheesh
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

work?? what's that, oh yeah, that's that place I have to go back to in a week and a half.

Comment

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

YUP! *Still* at work in fact.... at 6:30 p.m. Waitin for damn contractors...

Yes, Sarah has at least one problem - toe in. It measures at about 5/8" right now, so it is way off. That was on the list of to do's after the lift, but it's been kinda crazy so we never even measured it. I think we were also thinking that if we relocated the track bars, we would do the alignment then. And replace the bushings, hmmm, I guess we'll get to it when we get to it, just like everything else...lol.
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                            YUP! *Still* at work in fact.... at 6:30 p.m. Waitin for damn contractors...

Yes, Sarah has at least one problem - toe in. It measures at about 5/8" right now, so it is way off. That was on the list of to do's after the lift, but it's been kinda crazy so we never even measured it. I think we were also thinking that if we relocated the track bars, we would do the alignment then. And replace the bushings, hmmm, I guess we'll get to it when we get to it, just like everything else...lol.
                            'bout a 1/2 inch off or so, not too bad. Check to see if your missing any wheel weights. I usually run some white out or sharpie around the weight, so I know if one has moved or been broken off. Before you relocate the track bar, check the ball joint at the frame end, if that is bad then relocating it wont do much. at 2 inches of lift, I dont think relocating the track bar is neccasary, thats just me. Pop off the steering and wiggle the ball joints to see if they're worn, they should be kinda tight. Hell, pump um full of grease, maybe that'll tighten um up.
                            good luck.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

steering damper fixed my death wobble.... one more lace to look.
                              good luck
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X