Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAILER341
    steering damper fixed my death wobble.... one more lace to look.
    good luck
    IMHO, Steering dampers just hide the actual problem, rather then fixing it.

I'm Jusayin'
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I had death wobble once, i think it was a mechanical problem, or it could have been the dog in the freeway. Not quite sure, but I do know that the right tires were clean up off the ground, I know this becuase of the streaks they left on the road, and in my pants.

Comment

Yeah, I think that's why non of this got addressed after the lift....we kinda decided to not worry about the track bars, and so with being busy and all, I guess we forgot about everything else too! :o It really needs new bushings all the way around anyhow, it has 70k on it. I guess that is next, assuming we don't need a new tie rod...that thing is locked man. I guess after a week of soaking with Liquid Wrench if it doesn't come off this weekend, we will be taking it off and using some more persuasive means of freeing them up ....
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

pb blaster works better than liquid wrench... try that
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Well....the death wobble has worsened... Sarah says it's doing it all the time now, so I am thinking that there is definitely a bushing badly worn, or the tires just took their time getting used to their new "harmonic friendly" position and have worn in a way that makes it happen more often. We'll see what fixin the toe does for it, hopefully tomorrow night. Anybody else have any other thoughts? Until then, she might have to suffer through drivin the CJ...lol!

:shades:
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Comment

Check out Quadratec, the have stock control arms with bushings for like $12 http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgi...UREQD=4&FNM=10

Also, I can almost guarantee that the control arm bushings are not causing the problem, they might be worn, but Its more then likely a worn out track bar and/or worn out steering. Control arms were very low on my list. it went like this:
              New steering - Beefy V8 ZJ stuff - didnt fix it
              New track bar - JKS Adj. - fixed it

I was still running the stock control arms that had clapped out bushings.
              Good Luck
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Right on, I'm leaning toward track bar bushings, it seems strange that it just started doing it all the time, yet the lift has been on there for a few months now. Could be a combination of worn out stuff, it does have 70k on it. Maybe the tie rod ends are a bit shabby, but they aren't terrible.
                My Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                  Right on, I'm leaning toward track bar bushings, it seems strange that it just started doing it all the time, yet the lift has been on there for a few months now. Could be a combination of worn out stuff, it does have 70k on it. Maybe the tie rod ends are a bit shabby, but they aren't terrible.
                  Unfortunatly the track bar isnt servicable. Usually what fails is the tie rod end at the frame side, and not the bushing at the axle end. If you look at the track bar you'll see what I'm talking about. Very crappy design.
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Obvious question, but they need to be asked. Did you check all of the lug nuts??

Comment

OH, NO SCHNITT...I guess I never thought about that, but I see exactly what you are saying. D'OH!!! I guess it's time to ante up to the adjustable....
                      My Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                        OH, NO SCHNITT...I guess I never thought about that, but I see exactly what you are saying. D'OH!!! I guess it's time to ante up to the adjustable....
                        I like my JKS, very beefy and stuff
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

the DW update

well folks, here it is, the official DW update:

took it in to the certified goodyear tire shop, became a free member (woohoo!) met a dude that works there with a cj-5 (gary, get your butt on here!) and got the alignment and balancing done.

the alignment was a little off but no biggie. the problem was the front passenger and the rear driver tires were out of balance.

ater 2 or 3 hours of sitting there ( i lost count after watching the fresh prince at 6) she drives great - gliding smoothly along the wonderful california highway asphalt.

:yay:

we'll see if this really fixes the problem permanently. (hope it does, cuz that adjustable trackbar is a little pricey!
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Re: the DW update

Originally posted by sarah
                            well folks, here it is, the official DW update:

took it in to the certified goodyear tire shop, became a free member (woohoo!) met a dude that works there with a cj-5 (gary, get your butt on here!) and got the alignment and balancing done.

the alignment was a little off but no biggie. the problem was the front passenger and the rear driver tires were out of balance.

ater 2 or 3 hours of sitting there ( i lost count after watching the fresh prince at 6) she drives great - gliding smoothly along the wonderful california highway asphalt.

:yay:

we'll see if this really fixes the problem permanently. (hope it does, cuz that adjustable trackbar is a little pricey!
                            Track bars are a little pricry, but if you plan on going any higher they are nessacery.

Mark the wheel weights with a sharpie, so you know if you lose one or if one moves.

BANG UP JOB!
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ooook, death wobble has not yet ceased. anybody got a track bar they're not usin??
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

yes ............ Whats in it for me ?

Comment

Working...
                                X