Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
    As i understand it putting a fan in a pusher position is less efficient than as a puller,

However my xj runs too hot for my tastes as well, and i have considered the taurus fan as a replacement for the factory electric fan as a puller. Most people tend to replace the mechanical fan and have two electrics.

heres a page on how go-jeep did it

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
    Great write up! He has a/c I don't. So, hopefully mine (I ordered one) will have a smooth install.

Comment

We are located in the city of Ontario California, feel free to drop by in your Jeep and maybe we can locate your problem.Our phone number is (909)930-9955 so keep it for future references.
      :shout:[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"].WE DO REAR ENDS.[/COLOR]

brothers4x4.com
      facebook.com/brothers4x4
      brothers4x4.biz

Comment

thanks everyone heres what im trying

well come to find out i didnt know but the engine builder told me that because my motor is oversized to a bigger bore that a stock oem radiator that he installed is no longer sufficent because the cylinder walls are now thinner and let heat travel through them a little faster so were going to try a bigger radiatorand see what happens. and just for the hell of it my uncle is a smog tech and he said that all you have to do is tell them that you have a low temp thermostat. the tech just simply has to warm the car up before he puts it on the machine. because the emissions are only high when the car is cool. once the vehicle has reached normal operating temp youre fine. i appreciate everyones help and just want to say thanks for making the new guy fell welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
          well come to find out i didnt know but the engine builder told me that because my motor is oversized to a bigger bore that a stock oem radiator that he installed is no longer sufficent because the cylinder walls are now thinner and let heat travel through them a little faster so were going to try a bigger radiatorand see what happens. and just for the hell of it my uncle is a smog tech and he said that all you have to do is tell them that you have a low temp thermostat. the tech just simply has to warm the car up before he puts it on the machine. because the emissions are only high when the car is cool. once the vehicle has reached normal operating temp youre fine. i appreciate everyones help and just want to say thanks for making the new guy fell welcomed.

Great post back if it helped. Also ask your uncle if 177* is the "temp for being warm". I was always told at 177* the vehicle is concidered warm and the computer does as well.

Comment

A lower temp thermostat doesn't do squad for controlling maximum engine temeperature once its open its open, its function is to control minimum engine temperature using a lower temp thermostat just delays your engine from getting to operating temperature. If it runs to hot its time to look at coolant and air ciculation through the radiator.
            XL's tend to run on the hot side just not much radiator or grille for air flow so a 3 row and some good electric fans would be a step in the right direction.
            Also make sure that the coolant mix does not contain more than 50 percent antifreeze

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post

That was the question I was gonna ask. If they bored it more than .030 over, chances are you are stuck w/ the higher temps. The 4.0L is tough to cool as it is w/ such a small radiator and you can only go thicker, not larger in dimension so it is tough to add more radiator to keep it cool.
              Any rebuilder should know that and Not bore a 4.0L out past .030 sure there are always that rare exception where someone will tell you theres is .060 over and no cooling problems but more often it causes problems that can't be easily or cheaply fixed.
              Good luck though! Hopefully it will all work out.

Comment

Hmmmmm, I'm questioning the smog thing. I'm thinking if you smog your vehicle in the cold months the thermostat keeps the engine at the temp it is set to open. So summertime a 180 thermo probably wouldn't make much difference but it seems to me in the winter it might. My XJ BARELY passes smog with 217K miles and I'd be really nervous hitting the test any cooler which affects a lot of things regarding omissions I think.
                Gregg Turk
                West Oak Hills
                greggturk.com
                95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

You are right about that Greg, if the cooling system works right there is no benefit in a cooler thermostat other than wasting more gasoline

Comment

well my engine is now bored to .040 but the engine builder would not go higher. he said that if he couldnt clean the block at 40 then he was going to get a new one. he said that most of the time u can get away with .060 max but on the 4.0 50 is the magic number. so he said 40 should be ok. and on the thermostat for the xj its hard to get a thermostat to even work and i say this because... in an xj there is no grill space so u cant go with a larger radiator just wider. but if you think about it a thermostat is supposed to hold water in the radiator until the engine get to the tstats req. temp. then the tstat opens to let cool water in while the hot water is circulated back into the radiator to cool. but in the xj there just isnt a way to to put a big enough radiator in to actually get the radiator and the tstat to sync with each other. but i called a jeep tech and thish is what he told me... in an 87 -90 xj they have the old french style cooling system which consist of the smaller radiator and the old style pressure bottle. but there is a way to convert that system to the newer 91 through 01 chrysler cooling system. becuause i have an 89 and my friend has a 91 h.o. and his runs alot cooler. if i cant get the motor in mine to run cool i might consider converting mine over. and just for the hell of it the guy who gave me this info was a jeep tech during that era of xj his shop is called spikes jeep garage in lancaster (661) 726-2600 he seemed to be very knowledgeable on jeeps. he talked with me for over an hour about the xj cooling system. very nice guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X