• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success....Cobra Brakes on WJ knuckles

Edited for Gilligan
    {As Quoted by mr.blaine}
    This would be blaine speaking now:
    "Finally, I rounded up enough spacers, rotors, knuckles and was able to accurately mount the low profile Cobra Mustang dual piston calipers onto the WJ knuckles.

Here is the clearance you wind up with when stuffed into a 15" rim with the Warn 4.5 hub conversion. I need to double check the backspacing on this wheel, but IIRC it's 3.75. It is a cast wheel so I need to double check it with a MT with 4 9/16's BS. I am fairly certain it will work just fine. "

Here is a rear quarter view. This is being used with the 02 Ford Sport/Sporttrac 4x front rotor.

Here is the back side view showing that the bolt spacing on the saddle for the Cobra calipers is identical to the WJ bolt spacing on the knuckle.

The combination of spacers I used perfectly centers the rotor in the caliper saddle and the Ford rotor is the same thickness and diameter as the Cobra rotor.

Finally, the dual piston caliper is a PBR and is a very high quality aluminum caliper normally found on high end brake conversions or more notably as OEM Corvette binders. :thumbsup: {thanks to Mr.blaine}
    Last edited by Chris_L; 01-26-04, 11:46 AM.
    ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

I'd say you'll be able to stop now.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

looks nice!
      about those WJ knuckles.. could i use those on my yj to get hi steer? is that what you did?
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

blatant rip off of Blaine's post on BBS? I say yes! Come on Chris. A little more credit to the inventor please.:yay:
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
          blatant rip off of Blaine's post on BBS? I say yes! Come on Chris. A little more credit to the inventor please.:yay:
          busted! but can i use these knuckles on my yj for hi steer?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Re: Success....Cobra Brakes on WJ knuckles

Originally posted by Chris_L
            :thumbsup: {thanks to Mr.blaine}
            He said thanks
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

First off, I asked Blaine if he minded if I post on a couple other forums that he does not frequent, just to get the info out there, for anyone doing the WJ knuckle conversion. Secondly I was the one person with him in his garage over a year and a half ago and actually held the caliper to the knuckle when it was first discovered that they were a match. Then it was put on the back burner for a while. So, no this is not my complete doing. If you would have read the original post, Blaine gets the credit at the bottom. I simply pasted his post from the bbs directly here for others to see. Ok choir boy?
              We'll settle this out at JV while your walking the trail and stacking rocks. Bring gloves
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                busted! but can i use these knuckles on my yj for hi steer?
                Eric, I dont see why you could not use them. To get the steering even higher, you get a right side knuckle off a right hand drive euro WJ. It is the mirror image of the American driver side knuckle. If you look at my tie rod it is double shear between the upper and lower ears on the knuckle. You could get it up even higher my using tre's on the very top of the knuckle, but you would have to put a reverse taper going down in the top of the knuckle.
                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                  First off, I asked Blaine if he minded if I post on a couple other forums that he does not frequent, just to get the info out there, for anyone doing the WJ knuckle conversion. Secondly I was the one person with him in his garage over a year and a half ago and actually held the caliper to the knuckle when it was first discovered that they were a match. Then it was put on the back burner for a while. So, no this is not my complete doing. If you would have read the original post, Blaine gets the credit at the bottom. I simply pasted his post from the bbs directly here for others to see. Ok choir boy?
                  We'll settle this out at JV while your walking the trail and stacking rocks. Bring gloves
                  O.K. Chris... Jeeeze... I was just givin' ya a bit of crap.
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

O.K. Chris... Jeeeze... I was just givin' ya a bit of crap.
                    Sorry Brian, it's been one of those weeks
                    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

So,

Will this work without the WARN hub conversion? What spacers are needed and where can we get them?

Justin
                      -Justin Myers-
                      I can't make my mind up
                      Will I ever settle?
                      What kind of rig do I want?

Comment

Looks sweet as always.. Good work Blaine. Thanks for posting it Chris.
                        Scott
                        89 yj with crap and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X