Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viair OBA system installed in the XJ

Well picked this system up today. I was using a 10lb 4wheelair tank for over 2 years and recently i just got annoyed of it. I had to replace the regulator last week and my hose cracked so i needed a new one, plus getting it filled up everytime was a 30min trip completely out of my way. Now i have air anytime i need it. Got all the fittings on, now im just debating on where i should mount the compressor and tank. I need to take mesaurments tomorrow and see if i could fit the tank underneath the rig in between the body and the rear d-shaft. For those of you who havent seen probably one of the best write ups ive seen regarding OBA check out http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm Im thinking of following his setup minus the ARB obviously.
    Some pics..

Compression fittings and the safety valve

400c Air compressor

and the interior gauge and the brain behind it all pressure switch with relay

The install is pretty straight forward. The only thing im not to happy about is they expect you to mount the compressor right next to the air tank. The compressor has a 2foot steel braided line comning out of it thats supposed to go directly to the tank. Well im obviously going to have them atleast 6-8ft apart so now i need to buy some pressure hose that can hold up and some fittings.
    I gotta say mounting the compressor was a PITA. The cubby hole is tiny and trying to make brackets to fit in there and then actually screwing the compressor down was hell. alot of bloody knuckles.

I used simple angle i bought from home depot and the existing holes in the brackets. For the rear one, i used a L bracket that i bent to hug the wheel well.

L bracket. Yes the screws came out the tire side, but they are tiny, a little hit with the grinder and they're nothing to worry about.

i hooked up the switch relay and ran the main power to the battery

Got it all done. Came out pretty good, only problem i had was i coudlnt mount the tank underneath like i had planned. The Viair tank is to big and will not fit :rant: so FOR NOW i left it inside the trunk, in the meantime i going to tap a fire extinguisher I have(same one Eric used) thats also 2.5 gallons but a little smaller then the viair tank.
    The compressor isnt as loud as i thought it would be. It takes about 1min 30seconds for the tank to reach 150psi and about 2 minutes per tire from 12-33 psi. Not to bad, im very happy.
    I mounted the gauge right underneath my right foot, next to my CB

Ran all the wires for the compressor and the relay

Cut out the little cubby panel

and here is the tank temporarily

Im gonna have to air chucks, one out back

and one up front mounted on the front bumper. I ran the air hose through the cab, will finish it up tomorrow. Overall im happy with it. :thumbsup:

i pulled the hose all the way up front and mounted an Air chuck to the front bumper.

Working...
X