Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York ??'s

So one of My buddys let me fill up my tires with his York, Let me tell you... FAST.

So naturally I am in the Hunt for a york and started to doing some research.

I found that I should go with a York that was pulled from a Volvo rather than a Ford. Reasons: The York of the Ford have tubes coming vertically off the top making it stand taller...

NOW....

I found This on Ebay, he is stating it came off a Ford. It doesnt look like it to me, But what do I know!!!!!

I was hoping I could get some input from you guys or gals.......

Ebay

Thanks

Supe
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/york/

here is a nice link for york info.
    i have been running one for a while, and love it.
    be sure to spend a few bucks on a good COALESCING filter for your york install. it will keep the oil problem minimized.
    i recommend a filter with an auto drain. drain it right back from the filter to the york
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks for the article and the tip Erik!

I think I will be researching this one for a while. Did you happen to look at the link I posted. I am curious on that Specific York. The Model number shows its the Larger of the Yorks. I am trying to figure out if I should purchase this one.
      Supe
      97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

I guess this Ford has regular flange fittings...not sure if they were originally with Rotolock fittings or what. It looks like you will need to buy new flange fittings anyway, as the intake port is missing the fitting. You can get them from Kilby at www.onboardair.com. Or you could scrounge around for a used one, but the Volvo's are metric threads, so you need to do some "creative" thread mating to make them work. The Kilby fittings are standard 1/2" NPT, so they fit right up to fittings you can buy at the hardware store. The other things you will need add up pretty quickly - pressure switch, relief valve, coalescing filter, check valve, a bunch of fittings, etc. I did some price comparisons on Kilby's stuff and they are within 5% of the lowest prices I found on the individual components. I found it easier to just buy the setup from them, but you can find some things on ebay. Search for Square D pressure switch and you usually can find the one you need (#12J52). Also, this compressor may have a bad clutch for all you know, so it might be a good idea to ask the seller to check it. The clutches run ~$100 new. I bought the whole compressor with fittings from Ecology auto parts for $35. Give them an extra $8 and you can take it back and pick out another one if it doesn't work...

:shades:
        rick
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

it looks ok, but is missing one of the hose fittings. if it were me, i'd get it from a salvage yard where i can test it, and be sure that i get everything with it.
          like 25 bucks at pick your part.
          you can modify the bracket to your needs, and buy only the kilby pulley, and a good coalescing filter.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
          this is a good filter for you.
          cheap, and auto drain.
          ERIK

Comment

I think I may pick up that filter. Thanks

I am going to pass on this York and take take your guys' advice and do the pick you parts. Defintaly a better chance at picking up one that works!

Thanks for Heads up guys!
            Supe

Comment

So I am Back on the hunt for a york and found a potentiatlly good one on eaby again. I have been searching around for them used and noticed that they typically dont come with the V-belt pulley. The one I found does come with duel v-belt Pulley and I am wondering If I should just pick up the york off ebay instead of buying a new pulley.

Do the yorks usually come with the pulleys from the junk yards?? Is there a certain pulley I should be looking for. Sorry for all the question. I just wanna make sure I know what I am looking for when I am down at Ecology.
              Supe

Comment

they do come with the pulley. average price is 25-35 bucks.
                test it with one of the batteries up at the front of the wrecking yard.
                you'll hear the solenoid click if it is working.
                turn the center part of the pulley to test the compression, and cover up the exit to see if it pushes your finger away.
                get the big one.
                ERIK

Comment

I just have to add that, after my first trip to the junkyard last weekend, I'm hooked. so much stuff you can use for something else, I love it. :yay:
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                    I just have to add that, after my first trip to the junkyard last weekend, I'm hooked. so much stuff you can use for something else, I love it. :yay:
                    Not only that, there was a York 210R sitting on the bed of the work truck we pulled my spring plates off of... I didn't test the clutch though. Pick N Pull in Victorville. Go to full size truck section and it's the big ugly yeller thing with the work truck toolbox bed on it right as you round the corner. The York's in one of the toolbox bays on the passenger side. Having one laying there ready to carry is about an hours worth of busted knuckles better than breaking rusted bolts off a Volvo engine...
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Comment

When did you see that Rick? I was planning to go to Ecology in san Deigo, or where ever it is.
                      Supe

Comment

Last weekend. I wouldn't count on that one being any good - there is probably a reason it's laying there... But Ecology in Adelanto had at least 5 or 6 Volvo wagons that all had compressors in them. That was 6 months ago though... They seem to have a good selection of Volvos though, so you could just give them a call before you go to make sure they still have some wagons.
                        My Jeep

Comment

I went to Ecology in oceanside today and Picked up a York out of an old Volvo. I took some hard work to get out, I got the 210 series. Stoked! I didnt have a chance to test it with a battery; though, I turned the clutch by hand and I felt suction and output of air from the hoses.

Can I test the clutch with my car Battery??, or is that too much power. I went to Home depot to get a test battery but all the showed me was a car jumper battery. I wasnt sure if that was the right type of battery to test it out with. What kind of battery do I use??
                          Last edited by TJSUPE; 02-28-05, 11:01 AM.
                          Supe

Comment

I ended up testing it with My Jumper Cables and my Jeep battery. Everything works fine.

Thanks for everyones help. I will post a pic of the final set up once its complete.
                            Supe

Comment

Glad to hear it. I guess I thought you lived closer or I never woulda bothered telling you about VV and Adelanto... I had a brain fart and for some reason thought you lived in Rancho CUCAMONGA. D'oh.
                              My Jeep

Comment

Working...
                              X