Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's aluminum, at least 3/16" thick.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Does the Jeep move when you stick it in gear and you crank the engine?

Comment

• HOles?
        holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Does the Jeep move when you stick it in gear and you crank the engine?
          I've not tried that, but after the clutch cable broke, I was still in gear, so I kept on driving a block or two until I found a spot to pull over. then I crammed it into neutral as I quickly let off the throttle.

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
          HOles?
          You might be proud of my jeep, this old jeep has a ton of holes in it, just not as nice of an arrangement as on yours, haha
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
            You might be proud of my jeep, this old jeep has a ton of holes in it, just not as nice of an arrangement as on yours, haha
            I would be proud of your jeep, and holes and all I think the body would compare favorably to the 1/3 of my jeep's body that isn't there.

On another note, ever heard of syncro shifting? For that matter does your jeep have syncros?
            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              I would be proud of your jeep, and holes and all I think the body would compare favorably to the 1/3 of my jeep's body that isn't there.

On another note, ever heard of syncro shifting? For that matter does your jeep have syncros?
              It has syncro rings in 2nd and 3rd gear, but in the interest of keeping them in tact, I double clutch most of the time so that they don't grind away.

The old synchros aren't what they are in today's transmissions, HAH! The old synchro rings that were replaced were almost ground smooth, they don't seem to last to long in these old transmissions.

I chose to keep the transmission old school 3 speed, it's kind of a theft deterrent, nobody knows how to drive them
              Last edited by daniel_buck; 11-15-13, 12:07 AM.

Comment

It has syncro rings in 2nd and 3rd gear, but in the interest of keeping them in tact, I double clutch most of the time so that they don't grind away.

The old synchros aren't what they are in today's transmissions, HAH! The old synchro rings that were replaced were almost ground smooth, they don't seem to last to long in these old transmissions.

I chose to keep the transmission old school 3 speed, it's kind of a theft deterrent, nobody knows how to drive them
                Yeah, that's funny, but the way things are going, a standard transmission period may be something of a theft deterrent. People can't drive them.

I don't blame you for wanting to take it easy on it. Still, syncro shifting is another tool to that could help a guy get home. If you get the revs right it can be very smooth. I don't think I've ever done it in something of that vintage, however. I'm sure that thing would start in first gear?
                Last edited by inVERt'D; 11-15-13, 11:38 AM.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                  Yeah, that's funny, but the way things are going, a standard transmission period may be something of a theft deterrent. People can't drive them.

I don't blame you for wanting to take it easy on it. Still, syncro shifting is another tool to that could help a guy get home. If you get the revs right it can be very smooth. I don't think I've ever done it in something of that vintage, however. I'm sure that thing would start in first gear?
                  I learned to drive my TJ without a clutch, for that same reason. I've not tried it on the willys, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I start it in gear when I'm in low range offroad, haven't tried it in high, I'm sure the starter has plenty of power to do that though.

I think especially the 4 shift levers sticking out of the transmission tunnel might be a theft deterrent too, haha!

Comment

I learned to drive my TJ without a clutch, for that same reason. I've not tried it on the willys, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I start it in gear when I'm in low range offroad, haven't tried it in high, I'm sure the starter has plenty of power to do that though.
                    Redneck survivals skills

I think especially the 4 shift levers sticking out of the transmission tunnel might be a theft deterrent too, haha!
                    Yeah shoot, it would probably give me pause. I'd still want another lever the bash the thief's skull in.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Well I decided to just pull the motor. I have everything removed accept the motor itself, (driveshafts, fenders, grill, radiator, and everything unplugged from the motor) I ran out of light last night, so I'll just get to it later this week. I have Wednesday-Sunday off, so that will give me plenty of time

On a funny note though, inside the bell housing I can see what looks to be the clutch cable, intact!! I guess it got sucked up in there as the clutch fork was ping-ponging around in there.

So it looks like it was probably just my mistake of putting the cotter pin in, but forgetting to bend it. I was removing and replacing it several times to test the clutch cable length, once I got the correct length I probably just forgot to finalize it by bending the cotter pin. Oh well, live and learn. And bend the damn cotter pin next time haha!

Picked up the springs from Atlas Suspension this morning, they look nice, we'll see how they ride! I didn't count the number of leafs on my old springs (super lift) but the new Atlas springs seems to have more (and thinner) leafs, that's probably a good thing!

Comment

• Alright, I got the engine and transmission swinging free on the cherry picker, just waiting on a friend to swing by to help me guide it on out. I imagine once I get it out and onto the ground, I can get the engine and transmission separated, clutch fork and cable assembled, everything bolted back together and the engine back in by this evening. I hope :-D Wish me luck!

Comment

• Got the engine pulled, new cable and clutch fork installed, bolted back together and then got the motor back in place! Tomorrow I'll get everything else back on and (hopefully) drive it to work on monday! :-)

While the engine was out, I adjusted a few things that were difficult to do with the motor in, I moved the throttle pedal a bit farther away from the brake pedal, and a few other minor things.

Comment

• Congrats....I have enjoyed following along on your adventure.
                            Rich

Comment

• Got the willys back on the road! Drove it around a bit, the power is pretty darn good! I think it's plenty, goes up the hills in the surrounding area very easily :-D

Next thing to do is to put the new leaf springs on, and start tidying the jeep up a bit. It'll resume daily driver status as of tomorrow, start driving it around town alot to see if there's any kinks that need to be worked out before I take it on a longer trip.

Comment

• Awesome! Hell of a job Daniel. Hope she purrs like a flat fender kitty...
                                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X