Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You set your multi meter to dc volts then when cranking, measure across each connection, should have no more than 0.2-0.3 volts of voltage drop across each and every connection

Comment

• thanks I'll try that
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• If need be google, how to measure voltage drop in battery cables

http://www.crookedriverwriter.com/in...p-testing.html

Comment

• Something else I may do, is take the starter out, spray paint the gear white. Let it dry a bit and then put it back in, and trigger it a few times. Pull it out, and see where the paint is worn off. Maybe the gear is hitting something in there. The bell housing SHOULD work with this, it's the correct bell housing that the engine adapter was designed for, but maybe this starter I have is a little bit longer? It was a new starter off of Ebay.
          Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-30-13, 07:47 PM.
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Check the cables for resistance/voltage drop first, is easy to do and you don't have to take anything apart. Then go from there

Comment

• good thinking, thanks

Comment

• I found out what's wrong with the starter! On the back of it, there's a power post that connects the solenoid(?) to the starter motor(?) and that part is touching the block, there's not really enough wiggle room to have it not touch the block.

So, I ground down the stud as far as I could, and shoved a thicker piece of rubber under the little cap, and BOOM it starts!

No fuel leaks, no air bubbles, no oil leaks (well, not yet, haha!) no coolant leaks, and the oil pressure looks good! I'll bleed the brakes this weekend, and then try driving it around the block. Then onto wiring up all the gauges and lights, and then mount the turbo and run the exhaust

Here's a video of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-GS...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• found this neat aluminum box that seals real well, I'll put the small fuse block and relays inside of here, I'll drill holes in the side and use rubber cromets for the wires to enter. I'll use a 6 pin connector for the power wires, and 6 pin connector for the ground wires, should end up looking fairly clean I think.

In retrospect, it looks like the box maybe a little TOO large, but I think it's fine, once all the wires are in there and the relays, I think it will be the right size. Nothing else is being mounted on that fender, battery will be right in front of it.

Comment

• I have a power brake bleeder, just need to make sure the cap fits. I'll be around this weekend and could help with the brakes

Comment

• Sweet, I might take you up on that I'll probably be busy saturday, maybe Sunday?

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                        Sweet, I might take you up on that I'll probably be busy saturday, maybe Sunday?
                        No problem.

Comment

• Well Tom, I had a friend over here today, so we just did the brakes old school, pump pump pump and hold while I cracked open the bleeder. Took a bit of time since I had a few leaks here and there, but it's good now.

I drove it up and down the street a few times!! It feels good

I don't have the turbo on there yet, so it runs out of steam pretty quick, but I imagine that's where the turbo will really help out. It definitely has low end grunt though, alot more than the stock motor. I put it in 3rd gear (1:1) high range, and drove it up the slight incline of the driveway from a dead stop. I don't think I could have done that with the old engine. Even starting out in 2nd gear on flat ground wasn't fun with the old engine. Can't wait to see what the turbo does!! :gun: I think this thing is going to crawl nicely in low range.

All the gears work smooth, including the overdrive. I'll work on getting the turbo and the exhaust on there in the next week or two (I work slow!), I've also got some new steering joints to put on there. After I drove it around, I put more transmission fluid in there, and checked the radiator, it's definitely circulating, before there was only distilled water in the top of the radiator, now there's green coolant, so it's all mixing around.

No video of it driving, sorry My friend had to leave before it was ready to drive, spend a while fixing some brake line leaks while bleeding the brakes. Will get some video next time

Comment

• Awesome!
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Made the battery tray this evening, it's probably WAY over kill, but that battery isn't going to go anywhere I can grab it, and shake the entire jeep all over the place, and it doesn't budge. I have hooks that grab to the bottom, and a bar that goes over the battery, I'll put those and the battery in tomorrow. I still need to trim the ends off of the horizontal pieces that stick out.

I also salvaged the "jeep" text from the old toolbox. a good part of the tool box was rusted through, but thankfully the jeep text wasn't I need to figure out where I'm going to weld this into, I want to use it somewhere.

Comment

• Man this is coming along so nicely. You're doing a bang up job Daniel. Can't wait to see it running and pulling wheelies with the turbo at full stuffin...
                                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X