Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arms

Ok, here is the decision at hand. What do I want to use for the ends of new control arms? bushings or Heim joints? The lowers will be fixed, uppers will be adjustable. If I go with bushings throughout, how is everyones feelings about phenolic vs poly? The arms themselves will be 1.5" x .250 DOM for the uppers, and either 1.5 or 2.0" x .250 DOM for the lowers . I might press a length of the 1.5" into the 2.00" for the lowers....but I think that will be overkill considering they are going to be "short" arms (OE length).

The jeep is a '03 TJ/rubicon, sees the trails 2 or 3 times per month, but realistically "rock time" vs "pavement time" is pretty low, probably around 5 - 6% is on the rocks, the rest is hardpan.

Any thoughts?
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Re: Control arms

Originally posted by goodtimes
    Ok, here is the decision at hand. What do I want to use for the ends of new control arms? bushings or Heim joints? The lowers will be fixed, uppers will be adjustable. If I go with bushings throughout, how is everyones feelings about phenolic vs poly? The arms themselves will be 1.5" x .250 DOM for the uppers, and either 1.5 or 2.0" x .250 DOM for the lowers . I might press a length of the 1.5" into the 2.00" for the lowers....but I think that will be overkill considering they are going to be "short" arms (OE length).

The jeep is a '03 TJ/rubicon, sees the trails 2 or 3 times per month, but realistically "rock time" vs "pavement time" is pretty low, probably around 5 - 6% is on the rocks, the rest is hardpan.

Any thoughts?
    Here are my thoughts:

If I were building the arms, I would put Johnny Joints or RE Cartridge joints in them. Might as will, if your building new ones. If your set on bushings I wouldnt go with Poly. They are stronger and wont wear out as fast, but they wont flex as good as stock bushings. Maybe a JJ in one end and a bushing in the other.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Johnny Joints all around gets my vote. That's what I did on my rear 4-link setup. Fixed JJ's at the axle, and adjustables at the frame.

Comment

How much grease do you go through? And who's joints are you running? How much noise and vibration are you getting transferred to the frame? I hear people complaining about them alot, but I have to wonder if those people wouldn't be better off with a mini-van.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
          How much grease do you go through? And who's joints are you running? How much noise and vibration are you getting transferred to the frame? I hear people complaining about them alot, but I have to wonder if those people wouldn't be better off with a mini-van.
          That is why I suggested one JJ and one bushing. The JJ would do the flexing and the bushing for the nosie and vibration.
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
            That is why I suggested one JJ and one bushing. The JJ would do the flexing and the bushing for the nosie and vibration.
            That is the way I am leaning. A RE sf joint on the axle end, and a rubber bushing on the frame end (for the lowers--opposite for the uppers). I have heard of some people having problems with the JJ's coming apart under side loads, the RE joints have a threaded side plate that is retained by a snap ring, so they don't suffer from the same problem. Unfortunately, the cost is running up pretty damn quick! By the time I am done, it might cost me less to just go buy the 4.5" RE kit, especially when you consider that I am not going to be running any extream trails with the heep (meaning the RE 4.5" SF kit would work just fine for my intended use).

KG6OWO

Comment

I greased them up once and they're holding just fine. I don't hear any noise, or feel any vibration from the links. Just an FYI, a JJ can flex a total of 15* Running a JJ at one end and a bushing at the other just isn't an option for me. My rear axle flexes a total of 27*. With JJ's at each end, I get a total of 30*

Comment

When the JJ runs ouf of flex then the bushing starts to flex. Well either the bushing or your weld will flex . . . lets hope the bushing will. Thats assuming you get all 15* out of the JJ.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

BTW, 15* is worst case. If you add a washer on each side of the JJ, you'd get more out of it. I just figured I was getting 30*, so I didn't need to mess with any of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X