Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy, time for a new round of updates. The 4.8 LR4 has been running great, never so much as a hiccup. But I did notice that my intake air temps were getting pretty hot, over 160 while crawling on the 101. Probably because my intake was right in line with the radiator fan:

So I moved it back:

And I bought a Woodward Fab bead roller, similar to the Harbor Freight version but with a thicker plate and $50 cheaper. It needs the same mods to work well including reinforcement, and an electric motor:

I tried to find a gear motor that wasn't too expensive but I failed, so I rigged up a Harbor Freight low speed drill. Max rpm is 550, with a 20:1 gear reduction with my LS flex plate and starter gear motor I can get it running pretty slow, around 4 rpm if I turn the drill down. To run it I lock the trigger on the drill and use a foot pedal to start it up. Here is my first attempt at rolling some panels:

Not perfect, but not too bad for a first run. I haven't decided if I like this version of my air box. I might change it. If I finish this version it will have a gasket along the edge to seal against the hood and will draw air from the outside through a hole in the side of the hood. I am also going to insulate the airbox and the intake tubing to keep it cool and making maximum HP, oh yeah!

Next I started to get my OBA operational. My york went with the Buick V6, the A/C compressor that came on the LR4 was a double headed pump that was near impossible to separate the crankcase from the head so I converted to a Sanden. Of course the brackets were different so I had to make some, took some time to make sure it lined up just right:
    Upper mount

Lower mount

All painted up

And here comes the compressor

This compressor was nice to tap into:

I pulled the compressor apart and plugged the hole between the head and the crankcase (technically wobble plate case would be more accurate). Then I filled the crankcase with EP grease and closed it up. I ran it for 10 minutes or so today and no grease came out and it didn't get too hot. We will see how it goes. I don't think it quite pumps as fast as the York, but it isn't too far off. Anyway, I needed the OBA to work because I got a deal on an ARB for a Dana 44, which means I have to make a Dana 44 for Opy. Got three housings, 1 waggy, 1 chevy, 1 ford HP:

The ford housing was best, .5" wall tubes and High Pinion but it is drivers drop and I need passenger drop. So I decided to re-tube it. Took a donor long side tube from the Chevy (also .5" wall tube) I cut the center to save the whole tube (it was pretty rusted inside anyway):

Took out the short tube from the Ford pumpkin. I torched out the plug welds then used a pipe and a 10 lb hammer to get the tube out. It was some work, took me two friends, 12 beers and 4 hours to get it done but I think I could cut my time in half now. I tried messing with drills and die grinders to clean up the holes but if I did it again I would just burn away plenty with the torch and knock it out. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until the last two plug welds. I need to clean up the long tube and press it into the Ford pumpkin still. I also have to cut the passenger side tube down and install the inner c.

More to come...

Comment

• Nice work Jonah. Sure must be nice not to have to worry about smog inspections.
      Check out .

Comment

• Thanks Chuck! Yeah it is nice to be able to modify without worrying about making a ref happy. How are you liking the new motor?

Comment

• Jonah, the king of fab, great work as usual

Comment

• Looks great! I love your fab work
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Thanks guys! I was out camping with the family over the weekend but I am back to the garage as soon as I get this work off my desk...

I did manage to get this done before I left:

New inner fender. It was all ripped up. This side had a bump out for the original battery location and the tire grabbed it once and bent it all up. I think I will do the other side to match even though the other side is flat like this one. I save at least a couple ounces using aluminum with speed holes!

Also have my sticker where I think the air intake hole is going, if I can get the nerve to cut my nice hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                Thanks Chuck! Yeah it is nice to be able to modify without worrying about making a ref happy. How are you liking the new motor?
                I'm liking it and I can tell a difference but it's still no V8. Did pretty well in Colorado.
                Check out .

Comment

• I have been working a lot on my front axle. I am now installing gears and could use some opinions on pattern.

Used gears, dana 44 high pinion front axle, milled gears (as opposed to hobbed), backlash 0.008" at the tightest spot but .010" around most of the ring (spec is 0.005-0.008".

Last edited by jonah; 02-10-16, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X