Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 9 inch & Detroit

I drove the CJ on the road today, It has been a long time.

I installed a for 9 inch in the back with a detroit, I sure like the locker.

My question is how far is too far to rotate a for 9 inch pinion up without hurting the pinion bearings?

Tom Woods site says to add transmission fluid to the oil to help break surface tension? Any ideas on this?
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

1) Hi or Lo pinion?
    2) How much lift?

Tom Woods is well versed in these types of things and I suppose that tranny fluid wouldn't hurt the rear end......But, I just installed a new Currie Hi-pinion 9" rear end and it called for a non-synthetic 45-90 (?) hypoid gear oil.
    Money pit!

Comment

Spring Over Axle on stock YJ springs plus a main leaf.
      Low Pinion. Currie or TrueHi9 are out of the budget at the moment.

Comment

Are running the factory skid plate?
        Are you using any type of "drop spacers" to relieve the angle on the drive line?
        Since you are running the lo-pinion model, I'd suggest the 6° shims. There are the 2.5° & the 6° shims, but with a SOA application you probably will need the max adjustment.
        Money pit!

Comment

To keep fluid up were it needs to be, you'll have to "overfill" the axle. Been running the same rear axle SOA for a few years. My only issue is that every two years, I need to repalce the seal on the yoke. Nice, decent axle, but a hi-pinion option when the funds arise would be money well spent.

Comment

Cool,
            I was hoping that with would work well. The 3rd member is used, but the housing is Currie.

As far as the shims and pinion angle, the spring perches were not welded on until last weekend. I have it pointed at the transfer output minus about 3 degees.
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats View Post
              Cool,
              I was hoping that with would work well. The 3rd member is used, but the housing is Currie.

As far as the shims and pinion angle, the spring perches were not welded on until last weekend. I have it pointed at the transfer output minus about 3 degees.
              Thanks
              Is that with it down on the ground, with a little weight in the fuel tank? Point it down 1 or 2 degrees from straight in line pointing at the t-case output. As you power up the driveline, the pinion will slightly rotate up under power, so some folks do account for that slight up tick. All of that is if you are running a CV styled / double cardan shaft with some type of fixed output on the t-case, correct?

Comment

It is on the ground and down about three degrees, half or less on fuel, no hard top or tools and no spare tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats View Post
                  My question is how far is too far to rotate a for 9 inch pinion up without hurting the pinion bearings?
                  I put in a Toyota axle a few years ago and relocated the fill hole to bring the gear oil to the bottom of the pinion bearing and it's never had an issue.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ratherbe...803699131228/5
                  I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Cool, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X