Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    A person can always use all the friends he can get; but you'll have to supply your own money, drugs and hookers...

Leave a comment:

• Qubicon
    replied
    I just said to make friends, but all that couldn't hurt Do you need any friends?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Qubicon
    The point is, if you plan to take this on, make friends with your local smog guy, and BAR rep.
    (read: offer them huge bribes, or drugs, or hookers, or whatever it is they want). Personally, making friends with a CARB (California Air Resources Board) rep is like embracing Satan and all of his ways...

Leave a comment:

• Qubicon
    replied
    Rick, You are correct. As long as the donor engine is newer than the chassis, and has all the applicable emissions equipment that was factory installed, the motor swap is deemed legal.(As long as all the components are in place and functioning propery.) I have been involved with many of these swaps, and the new OBD2 systems can be tricky. I have had the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Rectums oops I mean Repair) fail a conversion, due to a long range aux tank that was not a factory installed option. In this case, the return line was incorporated into the intank pump, and the aftermarket tank was modded for the pump, so therefore, they considered the tank part of the emission control. Since the long range tank was not a dealer item, we had to work with the factory tank, and mod the pump to work with it. After the BAR signed off, the long range tank went back in. The point is, if you plan to take this on, make friends with your local smog guy, and
    BAR rep, ask as many questions as possible, and try to get them to give you a list of all they will require, that way if they ask for something in the future that wasn't on their list, you have some negotiating room in making the correction. These guys are generally fairly cool and will guide you in the right dirtection if you give them the chance. If you get caught trying to sneak something by them, you can count on them getting offended, and making your life hell. My 2 cents..................Q

Leave a comment:

• rick90yj
    replied
    Doesn't your new governor own a couple of Hummers? Maybe he'll team up with our former governor (HINT: I'm from Minnesota)and they'll body slam some legislators into backing down.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    well, here in california, we are at the top of the "being swindeled" list i think we are getting used to it.

Leave a comment:

• rick90yj
    replied
    Emissions testing.

Minnesota had emissions testing stations around the Twin Cities until around 2001. It was determined that the testing was NOT having an effect on the emissions, and that the emissions levels were already coming down when the stations were first mandated by the state. They are a boondoggle and you are being blackmailed and swindled if you have to get the tests. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    Last time I checked, as long as the donor engine is the same year or newer and is installed with the original equipment that it passed smog with in the first place, you are legal. In other words, you can legally drop in a 350 as long as the block is from a '90 or newer vehicle and is equipped with whatever smog controls the engine came with in the original vehicle. Of course, I'm referring to cully-furnia smog nazi laws... most other states aren't that crazy yet, although there are several catching up with CA pretty quickly...

:shades:
    Rick

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Those two hags, Boxer and Feinstein, still try to sneak that scrapping law in as a rider on other legislation. How they can expect everyone to believe their absurd theory that less than 1% of the vehicles on the road in southern California are resposnsible for 95% of the polution, is beyond me. There wasn't this much polution when every car on the road was a '74 or older (and there were far more of them on the road, as well)...

Leave a comment:

• king4wd
    replied
    Smog Nazis

The Smog Nazis will buy older vehicles. However it is voluntary, and you won't get market value if its collectible or in demand (i.e. a 71 hemi 'cuda, '69 ss/rs camaro, etc.). The original law to scrap older cars was itself scrapped- Hooray for our side

Leave a comment:

• rick90yj
    replied
    I had heard that the "smog nazis" were buying the cars over thirty years old and giving incentive vouchers to get people to buy newer smogged cars.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by rick90yj
    Minnesota doesn't have all those smog tests and registration is just going in and buying a licence plate.
    Here in southern California, if a vehicle is over thirty years old it escapes the scrutiny of the Smog-Nazi's. The policy allows me the luxery of a 327 from a '66 Vette under the hood of my Willys. Unfortunately, it no longer has the original mechanical fuel injection, or original heads. It does have GM Vortec cast iron heads (which more than likely flow a little better than the originals, anyway), and an Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold with a 650cfm Edelbrock clone of the Carter AFB. I'm pretty content with the power and torque...

Leave a comment:

• rick90yj
    replied
    Minnesota doesn't have all those smog tests and registration is just going in and buying a licence plate. I'll run the exhaust through a catalytic converter. It'll probably put out less emiisions than the carbed 4.2.

Leave a comment:

• king4wd
    replied
    V-8 in a YJ

A Ford 302 in a '90 YJ. Sounds like a hot set-up. How do you handle getting it smogged and registered? One day (if I win the lottery ) I'd like to drop a 5.9 V-8 from a '99 durango or Grand Cherokee in my TJ, but the red tape would be a nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• rick90yj
    replied
    Yes, you were right.

I was just agreeing with you, and telling him what I got the axles out of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X