Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas??

I have a 1985 Jeep cherokee with a 4 cyl. It recently had the engine rebuilt and has less than 30 miles. Also the clucth was replaced but wasnt aligned or done with the proper torque. Now whenever i try to start it, it turns over but the belts arent even turning. If i try to start it in gear it jumps so im pretty sure something is happening in the transmission. It sounds like something in the transmission is just spinning and not grabbing onto anything. Could this be the clutch? or could it be something else?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

If the belts aren't turning, that means the crankshaft is not turning.... which means you can't be turning anything in the transmission. Are you sure the belts / crankshaft are not turning? Does it start? What kind of noises does it make when you crank it?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

when i start the engine it makes a sound like there is something spinning somewhere near the bottom of the engine, almost in the trans. but no, the belts are not moving when i start it and neither is the crank, but i can turn the crank my hand a little bit both ways but i think compression is keeping me from going any further.
      B R E T T

Comment

Is it possible the timing chain has been thrown off? I was running it pretty hard to get on the trailer?
        B R E T T

Comment

If the crank does not turn when you engage the starter, something is definitely bound up... Does the starter gear make a horrendous noise, or is it engaging? The timing chain could do it, so could a number of other components in the engine that could prevent the engine from turning but I would think you would hear more really bad noises... I don't understand how you could have a noise of something turning but not have the crank spin....the starter engages the ring gear on the flywheel which is connected directly to the crankshaft. Maybe you sheared the flywheel bolts??? Im not sure how else to help you other than figuring out whether the noise is in fact in the bellhousing, in which case you have a ring gear or flywheel problem.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I talked to a friend of mine today and he said it is possible that i sheared the flywheel bolts. Also he said it is possible that the crank shaft is broken. If it is the flywheel bolts is it just the flywheel i have to change or is it more than that??
            B R E T T

Comment

Working...
            X