Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low idle, dies at stoplight

so...2002 TJ in the shop for the last 9 weeks (don't ask, it's not mine to tell) now idles low - less than 1k- and dies at a stop when idling in gear. It hasn't gotten better after being driven about 40 miles or so, so I don't think it's the adaptive memory being erased by disconnecting the battery. The jeep has less than 45,000 miles on it and ran fine before the incident that put it in the suspension shop. Any ideas? My idea is to put fuel injector cleaner in the tank (which has less than 1/4 tank of gas in it) drive it on the freeway for about 30 miles or so, then fill it up with gas and drive it some more to see if the problem was it sitting for so long. any other ideas?.......
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

If you really stomp on it does it choke around 3k rpm or so? I had a TPS go bad. Symptoms were low idea, dieing at stop, extremely poor gas mileage (like 6 mpg) and around 3k rpm it felt like the engine coughed/stuttered.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
      If you really stomp on it does it choke around 3k rpm or so? I had a TPS go bad. Symptoms were low idea, dieing at stop, extremely poor gas mileage (like 6 mpg) and around 3k rpm it felt like the engine coughed/stuttered.
      It acts like it's either not getting enough gas or the idle is adjusted too low. It's fine once the throttle is pushed. Which is why I'm thinking clogged filter/fuel lines, since it the tank is low and it sat for so long. Oooohh, I wonder if water condensed in the tank from it sitting so long and the temp has been flucuating here?

Comment

Your TPS sounds like its going bad. The TPS tell the computer how much fuel to put to the injectors at all ranges of RPM's Thats why the idle is factory set. The problem is the TPS switch isn't seeing the lower voltage at an idle. If the Jeep drives fine above Idle it's the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) Krangen list one for for around $45.

WWW.partsamerica.com

PS. check your wire connection to the sensor. Located oppisite of where your throttle cable connects on the throttle body.
        Last edited by D4x4Fish; 12-16-05, 02:07 AM.
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Thanks, all! Gas treatment and filling the tank with new gas worked.

Comment

Note to self: Try gas treatment as mine is doing the same thing.
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X