Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip Yoke Eliminator

Anyone here ever do a slip yoke eliminator kit ?

How hard is it to do, ad yes I know I will need a new drive line, just wanted to see if anyone has done one in the garage.

I did mine with some extra hands to help it was pretty straight forward with the instructions they gave form Tom woods it took a half a day to do
    and set up the pinion angle make sure you have have adjustable control arms for the back I didn't have them at first and still had a little vibration until I got the adjustable ones
    01 Tj Sport 4.0 Auto
    4 RE, 1" Bl-MM, 33" with 6" flares and ORF tire carrier
    SYE kit with ARB F/B 4.56

Comment

It's a lot easier than some people make it out to be, the driveway approved method that Advanced Adapters used to have in their manual ran you though it without even removing the t-case from the vehicle (well at least not unboltint the front half of the case from the tranny!)
      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

pretty easy, i ran into a little problem, but was easily fixed
        Carlos

92 YJ
        GO VEGAN!
        volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

My first mod I did myself and my first (and only, too much homework) write-up. I read as many write-ups as I could find then dove head first into it. Take your time, if you can twist a wrench some what you should be alright. A second head and set of hands don't hurt.
          write-up
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Sounds good, I was a mech in the army and have done alot mods in the drive way, some the right way some the wrong way, just wanted to make sure this wasnt going to be one of those wrong ways,
            appreciate the input guys!

Comment

Fairly easy "two banana" project in the driveway, but beg/borrow/buy the best snap ring pliers you can!

Also make sure you have a socket big enough for the nut on the yoke - preferably on an impact gun.

Lots of good write up's on the web, IIRC Stu Olson has one with his usual great photograpgy.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                My first mod I did myself and my first (and only, too much homework) write-up. I read as many write-ups as I could find then dove head first into it. Take your time, if you can twist a wrench some what you should be alright. A second head and set of hands don't hurt.
                write-up
                this is the write up that got me through mine also i used one form some british guys, used on a TJ
                Carlos

92 YJ
                GO VEGAN!
                volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

I kinda agree with what Old Flautulance said, Stu Olsen has a site he dedicates to working on jeeps, he seems to really injoy documenting how to do a mod and post them. if you visit his site you will see many common mods with detailed photos and instructions. He has become a great sorce of info.
                  I myself at 47 have stopped tearing into the internals of my Jeeps. I limit myself to external mods now and pay a mechanic for my internals. but 10 years ago I still enjoyed tearing into the engine and trans etc. It actually taught me how to get just about anything home, or at least to pavement where towing does not involve recovery charges.
                  I would encourage anyone to learn to tear into a machine to figure out how simple they actually are and how you can fix them to get you out of a jamb. After all. I limped home on Tie wire once this year, saving me a tow and recovery from the John Bull to Riverside.
                  Machines are really easy once you lose your fear, and kinda rewarding to do yourself
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

Im with you BlackZZr, Im getting to that point in my life where pulling tranny's and motors in the driveway are a thing of the past, however, with nearly 4K in upgrades this month, I feel the need to save a buck and practice some mech skills. Bailing wire and duck tape use to be my two best friends.

Comment

I just remembered, one of the prime media mags, I believe 4 wheel drive and sport utility has a full write up this month about a SYE conversion with great pics.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Make sure you get some really detailed pictures of the inside of your transfer case after you open it. Also make sure that you look at which way the shift fork is facing BEFORE you pull it out.

Trust me you do not want to put the shift fork in facing the wrong way, taking everything apart and doing it AGAIN sucks.... uhhh... not that i ever did anything that stupid :oops:

Comment

Working...
                        X