Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORE POWER for 4.0

I own a 88 Comanche with a I6 and would like to get some serious power out of it for as cheap as possible. I would like to gain at least 100 horsepower. I know there is alot of stuff out there for the 258. The main difference of the 4.0 from the 4.2 is the stroke. What are the others? Is it possible to put a crank from a 258 in the 242 to make it a 258? Any guidance is appreciated.

Stroke the 4.0 by using a 258 crank.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

and Yahoo Group Strokers Good info.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

home made stroker is prob the cheapest i think it might cost around 1000-1500 bucks or somewhere around there maybe a little higher. you could get a supercharger i know avenger makes em for the 4.0L
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Your asking to more than double the real stock HP. That is a lot to ask. To do that you might as well drop in a V8. But what do you need the HP for? A stroker kit won't get you 100hp I don't believe, someone correct me if I am wrong here but... The stroker is the way to go for off-roading... HP is for drag racing, Torque is for wheelin!...

The stroker makes some great torque gains especially in the low end.
        Scott Poliseno
        www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4garage
          Your asking to more than double the real stock HP. That is a lot to ask. To do that you might as well drop in a V8. But what do you need the HP for? A stroker kit won't get you 100hp I don't believe, someone correct me if I am wrong here but... The stroker is the way to go for off-roading... HP is for drag racing, Torque is for wheelin!...

The stroker makes some great torque gains especially in the low end.

I know the real purpose for jeeps. Its off-roading, but i have never seen a Jeep comanche designed for the street. This is my goal, to have my comanche perform on the street, not only because i have never seen one, but because the I6 is a wicked motor and the thing only weighs 2800 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
            Stroke the 4.0 by using a 258 crank.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

and Yahoo Group Strokers Good info.

This will turn the 4.0 into a 4.2. What kind of power gains are we talking about, because the 4.2 does not have a whole lot more power than the 4.0? Or does it?

Comment

Originally posted by moparforever
              I know the real purpose for jeeps. Its off-roading, but i have never seen a Jeep comanche designed for the street. This is my goal, to have my comanche perform on the street, not only because i have never seen one, but because the I6 is a wicked motor and the thing only weighs 2800 lbs.
              That sounds cool. I have never seen one either... Ken Bell supercharger... Add an intercooler and then some N.O.S!

Tub the rear and add some slicks... !
              Scott Poliseno
              www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by moparforever
                This will turn the 4.0 into a 4.2. What kind of power gains are we talking about, because the 4.2 does not have a whole lot more power than the 4.0? Or does it?
                No, the stroker 258 crank/4.0L block combo is 4.5L if you keep the bore close to the original 4.0L bore. If you bore it out 0.060" and use custom pistons with 4.0L rods, you get 4.7L. The specs on a well built 4.7L stroker are approximately 260 hp and 290 ft-lb. If you want to smoke the tires off that Comanche, you want torque, not just hp. Torque is what makes a vehicle fast in real world driving situations. Unless you plan on drag racing where the engine lives at or near max rpm most of the time, you will go faster if you have more torque than if you build for max hp. However, I would be surprised if you can get a stroker done well for less than at least $2500. A supercharger is insane money if you ask me - I would rather buy a spare stroker engine and throw a bottle on it for the cost of a blower. They run upwards of $4500.
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                  No, the stroker 258 crank/4.0L block combo is 4.5L if you keep the bore close to the original 4.0L bore. If you bore it out 0.060" and use custom pistons with 4.0L rods, you get 4.7L. The specs on a well built 4.7L stroker are approximately 260 hp and 290 ft-lb. If you want to smoke the tires off that Comanche, you want torque, not just hp. Torque is what makes a vehicle fast in real world driving situations. Unless you plan on drag racing where the engine lives at or near max rpm most of the time, you will go faster if you have more torque than if you build for max hp. However, I would be surprised if you can get a stroker done well for less than at least $2500. A supercharger is insane money if you ask me - I would rather buy a spare stroker engine and throw a bottle on it for the cost of a blower. They run upwards of $4500.
                  What kind of hp and tq gains would there be if i stroked it, cammed it up, port and polished the head, swapped out the crappy manifold for a header, and gave it the full intake-exhaust treatment?

Comment

you could do a custom turbo setup on it. just fab up a header then get a turbo off of an mk3 toyota supra. add an intercooler off an EVO then just upgrade the fuel system. run about 7-8 psi and you should make around 250hp easy. which should translate to 14 second 1/4 miles. or you could do a system like STS does, but finding an oil pump thingy might be hard. as far as the stroker goes......look for maybe 20-30 hp but around 70-80 ft/lbs. it all depends on what your setup is.
                    [COLOR=Navy]1966 Ford Mustang[/COLOR]
                    I decided that I want to push a Jeep around instead.

Rudy Guajardo - OFFICIAL Rebound Guy of N.H.S.

Comment

i was thinkin of turbo in my car just to be unique, http://www.cartech.net/jeepturbo.htm Its bassicaly the same engine, but yours i belive is still has the carb, go with a new engine and get rid of the Tcase. Your rig will be much faster. I have seen those engine in the 2wd Cherokee, speddy little devils
                      ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                      |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                      ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                      Locked and Ready

Comment

If you want to go fast screw the I6. Drop in a V8 and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully
                          If you want to go fast screw the I6. Drop in a V8 and be done.
                          or that
                          ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                          |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                          ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                          Locked and Ready

Comment

the reason i say turbo is because you can keep your i6 gas mileage, you'll be unique since you wont have a cookie cutter v8, plus a turbo will allow you to beat up on imports n such. atleast until aerodynamics come into play. also one of my friends here is inheriting a jeep commanche and i think i'm going to try to convince his dad to let us experiment a little. if he goes for it then say hello to a 13 second jeep.......lol.
                            [COLOR=Navy]1966 Ford Mustang[/COLOR]
                            I decided that I want to push a Jeep around instead.

Rudy Guajardo - OFFICIAL Rebound Guy of N.H.S.

Comment

that would defanatly be awsome, now i want a turbo!!!
                              ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                              |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                              ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                              Locked and Ready

Comment

Working...
                              X