Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future SYE

I am in the Market for a new Dana 44. I wanted to do a new Drive shaft and SYE at the same time. My questions is: Can I put a SYE on now with 3" of lift, then go lift my jeep another 1.5 to 2" in the far future without effecting the new SYE and new DS?

I dont plan on lifting my jeep for a bit. I would rather do everything else first. If Anything I am going to put a 1.25" coil spacer lift on top of my 3".
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Originally posted by TJSUPE
    I am in the Market for a new Dana 44. I wanted to do a new Drive shaft and SYE at the same time. My questions is: Can I put a SYE on now with 3" of lift, then go lift my jeep another 1.5 to 2" in the far future without effecting the new SYE and new DS?

I dont plan on lifting my jeep for a bit. I would rather do everything else first. If Anything I am going to put a 1.25" coil spacer lift on top of my 3".
    Good approach.

Skids first.

Think goals of build-up in this order:

how big tires will I ever want?
    what drivetrain (TC SYE/DS/axles/gears) do I need to run those tires?
    how will I stop/steer those tires?
    how will I get the tires to fit (BL/susp lift/shocks)?

of course, you have to make everything fit in a budget. I'd suggest planning big and going big rather than doing it stepwise.

it's been said a 3.5" lift and 1.25" BL should clear 35" tires (at least according to JP Magazine, FWIW). The DS length would remain stable unless you did a tummy tucker skid and/or MML. Even then I don't know how much it would change if the susp lift stayed the same.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I would like to get to 35's 37's eventually, but thats way down the line. I was looking into the Pro Rock Dana 60 from Dynatrack incase I was going to go to 37 one day. Then I wodnt have to updgrade an axle again. Lately, though, I have just been stuck on the 44. So many decisions.

So, it sounds like it is a good idea to be at full lift when doing a new rear shaft and SYE.

Another question:

I have a 3" lift and a Tranfer Case drop. Would I be pushing it if I were to add those 1.25 Coil spacers. Would I be asking for vibes? I would like a bit more clearance for now.

WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!
      Last edited by TJSUPE; 05-03-05, 10:33 AM.
      Supe
      97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

4 1/4" of lift is asking for driveline trouble. With a fixed yolk, 4" of lift, no t'case drop, I had to go with a CV driveshaft.

Any amount of lift will affect the required driveline length. Will it affect it enough to require replacement? That all depends on how much lift you are talking about, pinion and t'case output angle changes, length of the slip joint in the shaft, how much droop your rear axle has, and how close to the end of the slip joint you are at right now.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Once you put in the SYE, its good and does not need to be replaced. As you lift, you may need to redo the driveshaft.

From what I have heard, when you order your new driveshaft, let them know what your future plans are. They can build some "slack" (for lack of a better word) into the new shaft to accomidate your taller lift.

If you are planning on going to 37s don't waste money on incremental builds. Save up to get everything you need to run 37s or make a list of what you need to run 37s and buy piece by piece.

From what everyone tells me, going from 35s to 37s is a BIG step suspension and driveline wise. Most things you buy to go from 33s to 35s will get replaced when going to 37s.
          Last edited by nagal; 05-03-05, 10:50 AM.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Are you guys happy with your 33's/ 35's? Do you hope to go to 37's? Do you think its a bit over kill?
            Supe

Comment

I am not happy or disappointed with my 33s but I am going to 35s, my new slogan is 35 by the end of 05 .

Once there, I will be there for a long time (probably forever) mostly because I don't want to spend 6-9k on axles when I already have close to 6k in what I currently have. Also going to 37s means place like Big Bear just aren't fun anymore (again going from what I have been told). I do not want to outbuild my local trails.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

35's seem to be the stopping point for most people. 37's are a whole new ballgame!
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

33's are just fine for the trails I run with my daily driver. With the proper equipment (lockers, skid plates, deep gears, etc) you will be good for a solid 4.0, some 4.5's.

I have thought about going to 35's quite a bit, but I know it won't end there.....so I'm leaving the 33's on my '03. Someday when I just cant stand it anymore, I'll build something else for the harder trails, leaving me with a fairly clean '03 of daily driving, light 'wheeling and camping.
                  olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                    Are you guys happy with your 33's/ 35's? Do you hope to go to 37's? Do you think its a bit over kill?
                    the jump from 35" to 37" tires is bigger, and more expensive than the jump from 31" tires to 35" tires.
                    i suggest 35" tires. you can run just about every trail in the country on 35's. even the 5+ trails.
                    there is always talk of bigger, and bigger tires. there has to be a point that the tire size will take the fun out of the trail.
                    on the hammers trails, the 35's are considered small since so many are running 38-44" tires. the trails are most deffinately challenging for me on the 35's, but i wouldnt want them to be too easy.
                    what is there to graduate to after the 5+ hammers trails?
                    not much that i can think of.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

My "OCD" is "requiring" me to go 35s. i just love those multiples of 5 Hehehehehehehe
                      Bryan
                      2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
                      front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
                      Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

Anyone have any exprience with the PORC SYE?
                        Supe

Comment

Working...
                        X