X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tic tic tic noise from 98 TJ

Hay guys;
    first I'd like to say Hi
    how is everyone? I do have a question, I can't find anyone who knows what is wrong and I'd like to find out before summer.
    thanks for reading...
    allowed I do realize but....

I've been wheeling sense `95, my first Jeep a `89 Islander, was carborated, sold it for a `93 Jeep Sport, took it out at midnight on new years eve in the snow up at 'Uncle Tom’s Cabin,’ (before it got commercialized and paved roads). I've been to Hollistor several times, also I have gone a few 100 yards into the Rubicon, (a friend of mine, right in front of us, rolled his jeep and we had to back / turn around to get him out. I sold the `93 to get the `98 and I have not been back yet, because I'm in school full time, 3 years now...what life???

So now you kinda know me, I'm not a rookie, here is my tech question. I’m hoping someone has heard of this problem before?? My Jeep has a steady tic-tic-tic sound under it. I can't tell where it is coming from because the sound is traveling. I thought it was a 'U' joint. It sounded just like that but they have been replaced along with the rear drive-line.

I bought a stock `98 Jeep Sahara, and within 2 months of owning it I had a 6" warn long arm lift, and 36" x-terrians put on it, along with alot of other stuff, all done by 4 wheel parts in Oakland. I bought it from a dealership with only 38K miles on it, it now only has just over 40K on it. This is my 3rd car and I have not had any problems with it until 2-3 weeks ago when I started driving it everyday, that's when the noise started. I have not even had it off road yet, (oh no, a virgin Jeep, look out...) I can't wait for this summer. I'd like to figure this out before this so I can use it.

My mechanic found metal in the tranny when I had that checked out it had the reverse gear missing a tooth, and all the sincrows were out. It also had green marking gel all over the gears, looked like the first owner tried to fix something and couldn't the it was put back together with silicone. I had the rear dif checked out also, it also had metal in it, I found out the spiders were very pitted, so all those have been replaced with new ones. This is why I guess it was traded in?!? And look who gets stuck with it, but 'Darth Vador' (that is his name, because he is all black) is my boy, and I want to fix him, not sell him.

I finally went to the dealerships mechanic, he is saying it might be the exhaust manifold, (inherent with jeeps, just like the Chrysler caravans trannys). I was also thinking it might be the cadillac converter, because I'm running out of options. I think by the time I finish, Darth will be new, haha.

I've had the engine completely gone through, the transfer case looked at, the tranny was completely changed out to a new one, got a new clutch, the rear spiders have been completely been replaced with new ones and the noise is still there, grant it not as bad but... :angry:

I just want to get him fixed so I can get him out on not so solid ground to see what the spring lift can do and get the feel of it; I've never had this kind of lift before.

The problems are another reason I want to baby my boy, it will be the first time I'm go out, and don't want to get stranded for nothing, I'd like to earn it, not just have it brake on me, if you know what I mean?

!? haha

I'm thinking Hollister because of the good conditions, and it's not too far to tow if I have to.

Any suggestions would help please...
    thanks guys :beer: (while I'm waiting for help I guess I'll Chill)
    `98 black Sahara tj 4.0 L manual, with a 6" Rubicon Express Lift on 35" X-Terrian tires; Picture at site below...
    It's a Newly lifted jeep, and I can't wait to wheel

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/login

I split the thread it will be easier to follow.

Does the sound get louder or faster with RPM? Or does it get louder or faster with MPH?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

More info

It seems to happen more with mph, but only up to about 40-50mph I really can't hear it going any faster then that. Also its only when the gas is pushed, and stops when the gas is taken off.

The sound does get louder the warmer the Jeep gets. In the am when I leave for school it's not that loud but by the time I get to school (about 8 miles) the sound is double. Also if I drive it lets say 15-20 miles down the freeway at 65-70mph staying constant, when I come to a stop light and go again, boy I can really hear it.

Hope this helps
      thanks
      `98 black Sahara tj 4.0 L manual, with a 6" Rubicon Express Lift on 35" X-Terrian tires; Picture at site below...

Comment

a crack in the exhaust manifold.
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Yes, that or try taking the oil fill cap off at idle. If it gets louder and sounds like it's coming from the valve train, you probably have a stuck lifter or one of the cam lobes/lifters is going south.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Well here we go...

I tried your advice Elusive and that was not it.

Rick it was not any louder with the oil cap off, so that can't be it.. If the below doesn't work then I'll check out this in more depth

My mechanic is back from his race (taking 4th place out of 125 cars) ya!!
            Anyway, I'm going to have the donut in the exhaust changed first, and if that doesn't work then the intake manifold gasket.

Like I always say:
            Jeeps don't $5.00 and $10.00 you they $50 and $100 you...

I'll let you know what's up when I get the Jeep back from the mechanic...
            Thanks again

Comment

oh my god, I went out to start Darth this am, I turned the key and NOTHING ahhhh

the starter died, along with the battery, ever hear such a thing... is he trying to give me his :2:

anyway on the other problem; thanks elusive you were right.

boy he'll be new again by the time I get done...

again thanks for the advise.

now will see if anything else goes wrong

Comment

On TJ's there's this nifty little plug of rubber above the throttle in the firewall. It's oval and if you pull it, you can "hear" all kinds of sounds from the engine compartment that would otherwise be masked by road noises, wind sounds & whatnot. Exhaust manifolds are common to crack on these year Jeeps and stuck lifters are also common on Hi-Mileage or Un-Maintained (read this as lack of oil service) engines. I was able to discover a bad PS pump & cracked manifold. I call this rubber plug the inspection plug and originally pulled it for routing of power leads to various 2 way radios and stereo gear but didn't put it back right away and that's when I discovered the various problems.
                Rick
                " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                Rick W6RE

Comment

Just to let everyone know I FINALLY found the problem, (and I was right all along) my mechanic didn't know on the TJ's the front driveline moves all the time.

The rear top u joint is bad, can I say dahhhh and after $4000 with a new tranny, spiders, clutch, and rear u joints, (which it needed anyway) I'M SOOOOO HAPPY to know what's up..

I just wanted to say thanks for the advise guys;
                  a

Comment

Working...
                  X