Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever drop in a v8 in replacement of a 4banger??

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever drop in a v8 in replacement of a 4banger??

ive been saving up to by a truck, just for the road, but evertime i go off roading in my jeep its soo damn fun i cant let it go... I have a 4cylinder which is why i want to toss it.. ANYONE EVER DROPED A V8 IN THEIR 4CYLINDER TJ???? if soo how much did it cost, i have about 2000 saved up hahah

$2000? Multipy by 2.5-4 and you're in the ball park.
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

...and that's assuming you've got a place to work and skills (or friends with skills) to do the work. To do the "whole enchilada" (upgrade the driveline to take the V8's horsepower and torque), RBJ's estimate is even low.

BTDT, t-shirt turned into a rag long ago....
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

and here I was hoping for pics of tomato juice splattered everywhere.....

If you can find a V-8 in good condition in a junkyard, buy it and the transmission that is matted to it. Your transmission will not hold up to the torque of a V-8 (as Old Fart said) Then you have to get a transfer case that can stand the abuse, which leads to new drive shafts. Then there are the axles, are the axles you have beefy enough to stand up the force of a V8.

It's a hell of a project, but once it is done...

Comment

At least he's in Baja Oklahoma. In California, I'd also have to advise him to get the V8/trans from the same year or later vehicle to pass smog - and then still plan on a hassle the first time.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

hahaha..... its really gonna cost 8,000 dollars..

Comment

Tell you what Tex, you come back after you've dropped in the V8, radiator, cooling, a new transmission and transfer case, and replaced BOTH axles - and tell us all about how little it cost you....

Or better yet - just drop in the V8, leave the rest of the driveline alone. You should have plenty of that $2000 left over to buy a really SWEET digital camera, so you can post plenty of pictures of what's left of your stock driveline after a few blips of the loud pedal.....
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                Tell you what Tex, you come back after you've dropped in the V8, radiator, cooling, a new transmission and transfer case, and replaced BOTH axles - and tell us all about how little it cost you....

Or better yet - just drop in the V8, leave the rest of the driveline alone. You should have plenty of that $2000 left over to buy a really SWEET digital camera, so you can post plenty of pictures of what's left of your stock driveline after a few blips of the loud pedal.....
                ive looked into a lil more than that to know that im gonna have to upgrade some of my stuff.... ive been at sites where they've done it and they said you can get a used dodge truck engine w/ trasmission for about 1500, that comes along with the computer... once you have that you need to go to www.advanceadapters.com and pick up some motor mounts and all the other bolt ons.... but if your just bein a smarta$$ i guess none of this matters because "you will always know more than me"

omg omg! new axles?!?!? new transmission?!?!?new radiator?!?!?omg omg omg............ i thought ur suppose to just throw the v8 ontop of the I4 and it would work!!!.... man i guess im in way over my head
                Last edited by TxJeepTJ; 03-08-05, 11:53 PM.

Comment

_sigh_

skip it pup.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by TxJeepTJ
                    ive looked into a lil more than that to know that im gonna have to upgrade some of my stuff.... ive been at sites where they've done it and they said you can get a used dodge truck engine w/ trasmission for about 1500, that comes along with the computer... once you have that you need to go to www.advanceadapters.com and pick up some motor mounts and all the other bolt ons.... but if your just bein a smarta$$ i guess none of this matters because "you will always know more than me"

omg omg! new axles?!?!? new transmission?!?!?new radiator?!?!?omg omg omg............ i thought ur suppose to just throw the v8 ontop of the I4 and it would work!!!.... man i guess im in way over my head
                    Why on earth would you want to replace a perfectly good I4 with a junkyard V8 and worn out tranny? This is the other portion of the cost discrepancy in your analysis - if you're going to call it an upgrade, don't saddle yourself with someone else's junk.
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                      Why on earth would you want to replace a perfectly good I4 with a junkyard V8 and worn out tranny? This is the other portion of the cost discrepancy in your analysis - if you're going to call it an upgrade, don't saddle yourself with someone else's junk.
                      who said i would buy a worn out tranny and a junkyard v8...my I4 sucks

Comment

Leave him be Rick - he'll get all this done for a dollar and a half with a new Hemi :confused2
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

While you're shopping for parts why don't you buy a clue?

Tell you want, you make a list of everything you think you'll need. Post it along with the costs associated. Let thos of us who have done this before pick it apart and tell you where you're wrong. If you're not willing to do that then what's the point in your posting about this?

Originally posted by TxJeepTJ

I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                            While you're shopping for parts why don't you buy a clue?

Tell you want, you make a list of everything you think you'll need. Post it along with the costs associated. Let thos of us who have done this before pick it apart and tell you where you're wrong. If you're not willing to do that then what's the point in your posting about this?
                            hah i would but ive decided to sell my jeep as of yesterday soo you and old fart and go and act like a buncha know it alls and talk about how hard it is the install a radiator.... on the other hand -- http://jpmagazine.com/techarticles/154_0305_vtj/ -- merry christmas
                            Last edited by TxJeepTJ; 03-09-05, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Note to self - inventory old friends, query if I was ever that stupid.....
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                              X