Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 9"

I saw an ad for a Ford 9" with 31 spline shafts going for $250. It has drum brakes.

I have a 97 TJ with 33" tires. I will go to 35's and possibly 37's in the future.

In you guys' opinion, is the Ford 9" something I should consider, considering the price. Should I jump on this. I understand that there will be a lot of fab. in order to get it under my jeep.

Are there down falls to the 9"? Should I watch out for anything? Etc....I know it hangs pretty low like the 8.8.

Thanks for any info!

Supe
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

The ford 9" is a strong axle with alot of choices for gear ratios and hi pinion option and best, lite weight. I have been looking at the ford 9" for awhile. Both the cost of building my own or buying one built. If you have the capability of narrowing the housin to your spec., there is still the cost of axles being resplined or after market. All of the shops I have found want about $250 for narrowing the housen. Ration for the ford 9" is endless where as the 8.8 goes to 4.88 (I think). I have been buying parts for the ford 9" for awhile, I looked at the early Bronco 5x5.5 and 58" wide. As with the dana 44 out of a scout they are hard to find but, but still out their.
    Things to look for are big bearing axles, and a 2 rib vertical ribs on the 3rd memeber. I picked up my ford 9" from a 3/4ton van with a Dana44 front from a 76chevy 4x4 for $100 from pickin pull and my axles from ebay for $50. I will be narrowing the housin myself. I plan to get it under my CJ and running with plans to up grade to a High pinion with ARB.

The dana 60 is best choice for strenth but cost, well Running with the Big Boys aint cheap. (thats why I'm a little pup)

This link will give sizes and years.
    http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Why a Nine!

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/nine.html
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

The 9 is a great axle. Currie can shorten it for you and give you some axles to go with it.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

So when mean shortening the housing, you man the actual length of the axle?
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

you do know that the high pinion 9 uses an 8.8 ring and pinion, right
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I do now.

I just talked to the seller and he said from flange to flange it is 60 1/2". He is in the process of putting a truss on it. 3 1/8" dia. on bearing flange and 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

I am learning as I go, Is from flange to flange the typical area to take a dimension from?
              Supe

Comment

http://www.truehi9.com/

A true 9 inch HI Pinion.

I don't have one and I don't know anyone with one, but it may be a good thing.

Ron
                1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
                  http://www.truehi9.com/

A true 9 inch HI Pinion.

I don't have one and I don't know anyone with one, but it may be a good thing.

Ron
                  Just the center section on that is $1800. I'm probably going with the currie HP 9.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I didn't say it was cheap, just that it is a true 9 inch.
                    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

The pinion is set higher on the TrueHi9 compared to the CHP by about an inch...if that matters for your driveline angles.

Comment

Better Late info than never....
                        I have two Hi-Pinion axles from Currie under my YJ in the pic on the left. The new True-Hi 9 wasn't out yet when I built my axles. I have 35 spline custom axle shafts and large style bearing end flanges & 3.14" Dia. tubes. I also have knuckles and spindles off a Chevy D44 1/2 ton truck in the front with Flat-Top knuckles for Hi-steer conversion. The reason for going with Chevy Dana knuckles out is to obtain both large bearings inner and outer instead of the small and large as on the Fords. I've kept the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern so I use GM or Toyota rims. ARB front 4:56 & True Detroit Locker in the rear. If I had thought about it, id have gone to a full float conversion in the rear. Ford Explorer disc brakes in rear with intergal park brake. Stock Chevy Modine calipers & rotors up front. Everything parts are available right over the counter at any AutoZone or PepBoys in a pinch. No problems handling 400+ HP from the Vortec 6.0L in the twin to my Jeep built at the same time. Used it for rock crawling & for sand drags out @ glamis & Dumont dunes.... Light weight, Strong & Reliable are the reasons for using these hybrid axles. You don't want to break parts 100 miles from nowhere on the Duce or out in the interior of the Alaskan Tundra...
                        Rick
                        " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                        Rick W6RE

Comment

Working...
                        X