Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ljspop
    replied
    4.6 out of a cobra is a _really_ big motor. (I have one where it belongs - in a Cobra ) You would have issues trying to shoehorn that thing in a SWB jeep of any year would be my $.02. Also, depending on what you want to do, it might not be the right motor for a jeep anyhow. Power is way up in the RPM band, sure it has some low end grunt - but not I would want for the cost/benefit ratio of stickin' it in a Jeep. Now, if your looking to blast through the dunes mostly - well then it'd be a pretty fun choice (if you could ever make it fit).

Leave a comment:

• RatherBeJeeping
    replied
    Originally posted by rick
    And if we're throwing dollar signs aside and just going for broke, I'll take an aluminum V-8 over a cast iron any-6, any day of the week and twice on Sunday
    Now you're talking

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    ok, ok, yes you have to do some work to the 4.0 to make 300 ft-lb, but I'd venture a guess that dollar for dollar you can build a better 4.? I-6 than the cost of swapping in a freshly built 4.3... I guess it all depends on if you are keeping whatever tranny you have or if you're assuming that has to go as well...

The most common thing I run into when having this discussion is that people do not start with the same basis. Usually the argument is: "But I found a junkyard engine/trans for $800, and the other stuff I need is only maybe another $400..." Ok, so now you have a junkyard engine with a worn out tranny and I have a freshly built motor.

Like I say, it depends on what the total project entails...

To simply say that a 4.3L is better than a I-6 swap (when comparing versus a V-8) is a bit elusive since they are solutions to totally different problems...

And if we're throwing dollar signs aside and just going for broke, I'll take an aluminum V-8 over a cast iron any-6, any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Leave a comment:

• RatherBeJeeping
    replied
    Or do a stock 4.3L that makes more torque and HP then a stock 4.0L, and it matches RPM for RPM across the power band doing it? Not as long, not as heavy, and not as tall at the same time.
    Let's not even get in to cost of buying the things, mating to desirable trannies, and having pound for pound more power upgrades available?
    Oh, there are more options to stroke the 4.0L though since there's only 1 for the 4.3L... But that does make 320 HP and 350 lb/ft if you do it.

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    I'll take an inline engine over a V-6 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. In fact, I'd spend the coin to build the I-6 to have as much torque as a V-8 and call it a day.

Leave a comment:

• RatherBeJeeping
    started a topic BrockGrimes V6 vs. V8

BrockGrimes V6 vs. V8

Originally posted by BrockGrimes
    I'm debating the v-6 or a v-8. The v-8 that keeps coming to mind is a 4.6 out of a cobra mustang. I used to have one and it's got some pep. The only thing is that it's a big ass engine, although it's all aluminum. So weight it's as much an issue. I just wonder how much of a pain in the Arse it will be. Hence the v-6 swap keeps coming to mind, plus they are already in 4x4's.
    How much power do you want is really the question here.
Working...
X