Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANS SMOKING! Too Much ATF?

HELP!!!!

TJ 4cyl with Auto Trans. Drove it to work (12 miles on the highway) and when I got out.. really bad burnt smell and some smoke too. Transfer case wasn't hot, it's gotta be the trans...

Was thinking it was taking off slower than it should. Engine revving up, but wasn't really accelerating. Eventually it did tho.

Checked the fluid and it's about an INCH above where the "HOT" mark on the stick is. Way too much fluid!

Any permanent damage you think? How do I drain some ATF out of there without dropping the tranny pan?

HELP!!!!

This was supposed to go in Short Wheelbase section since it's a TJ but I will check back if anyone resonds... it's kind of a generic "Automatic Tranny" type of question, and I'm pretty much freakin out right now.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I read somewhere about unhooking the return tranny cooler line and letting some drain out like that, but I've never done anything like that before. Sound like it might work to me, in theory anyway. Or how about sticking some kind of tube down the fill hole and siphoning some out? I bought a hand pump siphon a few weeks back, I wonder if it would work for ATF or maybe it's too heavy of a fluid? Hmmm...

Comment

Yes, damage can occur from having the tranny too full. You can suck some out from the filler tube. Other wise you will have to drop the pan. Do that and see if your slowness stops. Good luck!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yes what Chris said. You can get a small electric pump with small dia. hose to go down the fill tube, less mess and probably the same cost or less then dropping the pan. Just don't run it until you get some out.

This will work out, B&T TJ

Your hand pump might work, give it a try.

Comment

Did you put some tranny fuild in recently. If not you have some other issues to deal with.
          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

1st gear isn't engaging when in "D"

I just bought the Jeep and the previous owner must have dumped a bunch (too much) ATF in it... probably to try to fix it. Hand pump worked great, got the ATF down to a normal level, and have figured out what's going on... and it could be bad.

When taking off in "D"... 1st gear doesn't seem to engage, it appears to be in 2nd. Which would explain why it's so god awful slow, and it doesn't really start accelerating until I hit about 15 mph. And after testing this morning, I'm pretty sure the burning smells like clutch.

The good news, is that it WILL go into 1st if I drop it down and manually shift into 2nd once I'm moving. It's no rocket, but it actually accelerated faster than the granny with her walker on the sidewalk next to me.

So..... can anyone explain what might be goin on with it?

Am I in for major transmission overhaul?

Comment

That doesn't sound good. If you can do the work yourself it won't cost too much. A rebuilt trans. can't be that much but it would be the labor that will kill you. Do you know the prevous owner? Any kind of warranty? Good thing it is a Jeep, once you get this solved your in for some fun aside from just getting from point A to B. Think of it as a bonding experience, you'll get through this.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Stoeger
                I just bought the Jeep and the previous owner must have dumped a bunch (too much) ATF in it... probably to try to fix it. Hand pump worked great, got the ATF down to a normal level, and have figured out what's going on... and it could be bad.

When taking off in "D"... 1st gear doesn't seem to engage, it appears to be in 2nd. Which would explain why it's so god awful slow, and it doesn't really start accelerating until I hit about 15 mph. And after testing this morning, I'm pretty sure the burning smells like clutch.

The good news, is that it WILL go into 1st if I drop it down and manually shift into 2nd once I'm moving. It's no rocket, but it actually accelerated faster than the granny with her walker on the sidewalk next to me.

So..... can anyone explain what might be goin on with it?

Am I in for major transmission overhaul?
                Try adjusting the kickdown linkage. I think if you search for that on here you will come up with something. Good luck.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

...checked my "Kickdown Linkage" this AM... and all looked good (not broken clip). I'll dig into it, hopefully tonight, and see if it adjusts. So, it's "self-adjusting" once I remove the clip?

Any advice before I dig into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoeger
                    ...checked my "Kickdown Linkage" this AM... and all looked good (not broken clip). I'll dig into it, hopefully tonight, and see if it adjusts. So, it's "self-adjusting" once I remove the clip?

Any advice before I dig into it?
                    nope. it's really easy. Just remove the clip, let it adjust, put the clip back.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Kickdown adjustment did not fix. Shifter linkage maybe?

Kickdown adjustment may have tightened up a bit, but not enough to fix. Is there an adjustment at the trans end of the cable?

I did get it to kickdown to 1st a couple times (while in "2" rolling 10 mph) but I REALLY had to mash the pedal.

But from a standstill... it will NOT take off in 1st gear when in "D" or in "2" :confused:

Someone mentioned shifter linkage... is there a link or writeup how to check or adjust that?

((Everyday, I seem to be getting closer... thanks for all your help so far!))

Comment

Working...
                      X