Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shops that do Gear Setups

I am getting sick of seeing all the stuff for my axles not on my Jeep but can not find the time to get it done. So, I decided I am just going to have some install the gears and lockers into the axle housings.

I called 4west and they quoted $350 per axle.

Anyone know any good shops (SoCal area dont mind driving a couple hours) that will do it for cheaper. I really did not want to spend over $400 total. Yeah probably a bit un-realistic but I am a cheap bastard right now after upgrading the computers at home.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

If you don't mind driving call Frank @ South Bay Truck & 4x4 diff. @310-219-0715. It's a small shop so you won't find him on the net but he's very expericenced with Jeeps. He did a locker install for me and I think it was $275, offer cash and since it's two axles maybe a better price. If you decide to use him let me know I'll come by, he's not too far from me. He's located on Rosecrans Blvd. & Inglewood Ave. just east of the 405 fwy.

B&T TJ

Comment

Frank Hayes has done my gear setups for longer than I can remember (or am willing to admit)

Westminster, basically 405 and the 22.

(714) 897-2362

willys43@bigfoot.com
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
        If you don't mind driving call Frank @ South Bay Truck & 4x4 diff. @310-219-0715. It's a small shop so you won't find him on the net but he's very expericenced with Jeeps. He did a locker install for me and I think it was $275, offer cash and since it's two axles maybe a better price. If you decide to use him let me know I'll come by, he's not too far from me. He's located on Rosecrans Blvd. & Inglewood Ave. just east of the 405 fwy.

B&T TJ
        I would recommend him....he is going to work on my soon (probably next monday) for axle building and swap. He is an expert knows what he is doing and has good suggestions...nice person to work with. Thanks B&T TJ for referring to him!

Comment

Good luck finding someone to do it for $200 per axle. At current shop rates, that would mean the mechanic is getting paid for less than 3 hours of labor per axle. You might find a mechanic that would be willing to do the work on the side in his garage or back yard for that price, but you will be hard pressed to find a shop to do it.

FWIW, I charge $250 per axle (labor only) in my spare time. Even at that price, I don't have enough spare time to do all the installs that come my way. A gear install is a gear install, doesn't matter what (if any) locker is installed, save for a ARB or E-locker. Extra work there, so extra $$$.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Bob's Driveline in Victorville will do gear setup labor only for $175 if the housing is stripped when you take it to them and you supply all the parts. That's where I had mine done, except I paid dearly because I was stupid and just drove the Jeep in there without asking how much to do it if I gutted them. That was a long time ago though...I'm older and wiser now... I was going to take the Sarah edition front axle there to swap the gears, but we found a great deal on a complete front axle with the gears we wanted already in it
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

What about one of the people here on the board?? Jim, over at JC fab, He does gears i believe.. He doing mine on my jeep..
              04TJ, 4.0 5spd
              4" rough country springs
              Nth degree arms upper and lower
              1" Currie MML/BL
              Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
              33"BFG MT's
              Lock-rite in the front

Comment

That is a good point Rick. You can save a bunch of $$$ by having the housing stripped and dropping it off to the shop.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks every one for the contacts. These are brand new housings with nothing in them (should have mentioned that) thats why I thought $350 over at 4west was a bit pricey. I even mentioned they were stripped.

If someone here wants to do them and make a little cash, I would definitely go with that first than a complete stranger.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I would, but I'm in Tucson.......

KG6OWO

Comment

Ryan Brown on the SoCalXJ actually built up the wife's Dana44 from a NOS MJ housing. He does great work and is in the San Diego/Oceanside area. I don't have his email address but you could probably hunt it down from the link above.
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Chris Jasper will do both axles for $400. He is a certified mechanic and does great work. You can contact him by email:
                        ramcharger894x4@yahoo.com :thumbs_up
                        DesertYJ
                        29 Palms
                        "I Love It When She Crawls On All 4's"

Comment

Hey DesertYJ good to see you back on

Is he local to us?
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Right down the street.
                            DesertYJ