• serpentine belt

OK, I'm going to ask one of those lame I-have-a-funny-noise questions

Serpentine belt squeeks like an SOB. Not loud just eee, eee, eee

Adjusted tension, no change

Belt dressing, went away, came back

New belt, went away, came back

Belt dressing, went away, came back

So WTF?

Should I keep screwing with the belt, or change the PS pump, H2O pump or alternator?

I can't believe I just keyed all that :poop: but I might as well post.

Chris L.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

The way that I find to isolate the problem is low tech. You want a long steel rod, 3 or 4 feet. 1/2 or so dia. I place the end of the rod on differant place on the engine when running. Housing of the alter, power steering pump, Idler pulley. The other end of the rod I place my thumb on the end and place my ear to my thumb. Any noise will trasmit through the rod to your ear drum. By moving the rod to differant areas, your looking for the niose out of the norm. This works for interal engine parts as well, rod bearing main bearings, lifts and rockers.

The second way is to use a pipe PVC works and is cheap. 3/4 to 1" use the pipe as a stethoscope, moving to differant parts the noise well be the loudest.

The alternator can be ruled out by disconnecting it and start the engine. did the noise go away? if yes change it out, but before you do that take it to one of the parts stores and have them check it (free). Kragen, Auto Zone.
    :2:
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

my ps pump used to squeel when i turned the wheel...

i like the pipe idea try that one out
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

A stethoscope also works to isolate the noise.

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...ethoscope.HTML
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I listened and listened, not something I'm known for

Two implements: a tubular steel jack handle and some rebar.

I could not isolate the squeek :mad:

I know if I squirt the SOB with a tiny blast of belt dressing it will disappear instantly.

Maybe I'll remove the belt and clean the pulleys with brake cleaner.

Comment

Maybe one of the pulleys is a bit out of alignment? I would put a wrench on the accessory bolts to see if anything might have loosened up. Don't you have an air compressor also?
            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

With the engine off, squirt a little WD-40 or LPS1 on the rear side of the idler pulley. There is a bearing "C" clipped into the pulley. Try to get the ball bearing side wet. Wipe off the excess to keep the belt clean. Fire up the engine and see if it stopped squeeling. If so it is the bearing. They can be replaced or the whole Pulley can be replaced. If you don't replace this part, the pulley will fail / seize or come apart with bad results.
              Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front, Detroit No spins F/R, 4.56 /1
              Bulletproof front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper
              MPFI 258ci I6 by Clifford
              35" BFG AT, 4 wheel disc brakes
              4.5" Superlift, 2" body lift
              Bad to the bone.[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed]

Comment

prob solved

Originally posted by Highdesertjim
                With the engine off, squirt a little WD-40 or LPS1 on the rear side of the idler pulley. There is a bearing "C" clipped into the pulley. Try to get the ball bearing side wet. Wipe off the excess to keep the belt clean. Fire up the engine and see if it stopped squeeling. If so it is the bearing. They can be replaced or the whole Pulley can be replaced. If you don't replace this part, the pulley will fail / seize or come apart with bad results.
                Thanks for the info. I did remove and clean/grease the idlers but it didn't help. :mad:

I did solve the prob however, maybe I should have posted

I was talking to a guy at the parts store and he said out here in S AZ the belts dry out and squeek. I wasn't convinced but I thought it was worth a try. Well it worked :yay:

The "new" belt I installed before was purchased 3 years ago - a 2 for 1 deal, 1 on the motor, 1 in the spares box.

Thanks again

Aston out.

Comment

Working...
                X