Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth getting a newer C8.25?

alright, need a newer rear axle. I really want a D44 but they are becoming harder and harder to find. Plus getting a D44 would mean regearing(i have the shitty 3.07). so i was reading and i found that newer C 8.25 have 29 spline axles and i belive my D35( 1987) has 27 splines. and the D44 has something like 30??? obviously the D44 would be my best choice but. how would a newer 29 spline chrysler 8.25 from a manual trans xj with 3.07 gears hold up to 31s and a auto locker? worth it or not?

oh yea, cash is finally starting to come in(found a job reffin football and bball will start soon), but most D44s are going for around 400+regearing the front axle to match the ratio, which wouldnt be a bad thing....what do yall think?? :confused:
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

I say 8.8. Erik? :confused:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

i say do what your heart tells you if you feel you need the 44 then go that way if you dont need the beef then well i dont have much experiance but i would say the 8.8 or the 8.25 would be fine, just my little bit of cents
      im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
      4 inch rough country lift
      35x12.5LT16's
      super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
        one of the better ideas I've heard out of you :yay:

A C8.25 would be a decent upgrade, as long as it has the 29 spline shafts. A F8.8 would also be a good idea, but will require welding the spring perces on top of the axle, but thats not a big deal for you.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Check this.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33728

I hope that works.
          04 Rubicon
          4.5" RE Super Flex
          1" BL
          CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
          Currie Anti-rock swaybar
          35" el cheapos
          Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ

oooh yea forgot about that sucker. Supposed to be as strong or stronger than the D44 correct? plus its got discs...mmmm

does anyone know what else would need to be done to this thing to get it all hooked up besides new spring perches? such as brake lines and E-brake lines?? ive also heard welding the axle tubes to the housing since they like to get twisted around.
            B R E T T

Comment

found a web site with a writeup of what someone did to fit the 8.8 in their YJ. Seems like a lot of work. new spring perches, new shock mounts(XJ has a shock on both the front and back of the axle), driveshaft adapter for the pinion, brake lines and e-brake lines need to be fixed to fit, cost him about 400+tax bucks with a lmited slip and 4.10 gears. plus another 250 or so for misc stuff. final price was around $700

if i could find one without a limited slip and with 4.10s that would be nice, hopefully save some money.
              B R E T T

Comment

if you can weld, it is a simple swap.
                on the yj, i used the stock spring plates, and moved them where i needed them
                pretty easy. made some shock mounts for about 2 bucks, and used the ford brake line with no adapters
                it is a really easy install on a yj. i dont know much about xj's but i couldnt imagine it would be much harder.

shop around for the 8.8
                the 4.10 variety is the most expensive. if you are going to regear to something other than what is available in a stock 8.8, then dont get the 4.10
                you'll be paying more for nothing.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

alright 8.8 it is. Any idea on the price of one without a limited slip, in any ratio...i prefer 4.10 as of now. since i nead to reagear anyway, gas milage is pretty crappy with 31s and 3.07s

what kind of adapter do i need for a stock driveshaft to work with it?
                  Last edited by JeepJunkie; 10-30-04, 06:36 PM.
                  B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                  X