Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 8.8 limited slip

Hi,

I am planning a swap on my YJ with a ford 8.8. The one I am getting from a salvage yard is 4.10 with a factory limited slip. I don't know how this limited slip stuff works? Does it provide any real traction like a locker? Or would it require changing it to a real locker? I am planning to run a 32" tires for now, but would upgrade soon. But for sure, full locking traction is my priority, any suggestions/ideas/experiences/comments?

Thanks

A Limited slip is not a locker. Its basically a bunch of small clutch discs packed to together with some springs applying force. They do help, but dont even compare to a real locker.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i ran the 8.8 with the factory lsd for a while.
      it was ok for mild use, but the first time it lets you down, you will be pissed off at it.
      also, if you are planning in the future to use a "lunchbox" style locket like the lock right, or no slip, you will pay a bit more for the locker to fit into the weaker lsd carrier.
      if, however, you are planning in the future to go to an arb, or detroit full case locker, it wont make any differance.
      it is a great rear end. i have been wheeling the hell out of mine, and like it a lot.
      take a look at the thread on "shaving an 8.8"
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

NAILER,

Are you saying that no matter what kind of locker you getting, ie; Lunchbox style, arb or detroit, you are going to be paying a bit more?

I would like to get the 8.8 eventually. I am Just making sure I am reading your post correctly.
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
          NAILER,

Are you saying that no matter what kind of locker you getting, ie; Lunchbox style, arb or detroit, you are going to be paying a bit more?

I would like to get the 8.8 eventually. I am Just making sure I am reading your post correctly.
          no... i am saying that the lunchbox type lockers for the limited slip carrier is more money.
          if you get a "full case" locker, like an arb, or detroit... it will be the same price to replace the lsd, or open type carriers.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I have a 8.8 in my TJ and could not be more pleased with it. The cost and intsall was easy. I got the E brake kit at Curry and reused the mounts off cut off of the dana. I got disc brakes on the rear for no addtional cost. I run a Detroit soft locker which really works great on and off road. Once in a while you will get a clunk on the street. But it is well worth it for the solid traction off road. I had a ARB installed in the front at the same time and it already has an internal air leak so bad it only works part of the time.

You will either need to modify or throw away the rear sway bar as the offset on the pumkin is different. The same driveshaft works by changing the rear U-joint.
            T
            456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Working...
            X