Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Engine

Okay, I admit it. I have never washed an engine. After a run to Big Bear yesterday (talk about a welcome suprise coming home friday night to a message saying be ready by 9:00 am) my engine is cover in mud and dirt. What is the best way to clean it up?

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

I just go to the car wash open the hood and let fly

but you may want to check some things first
    open element air filter? if so plastic bag it
    anyway water can get into the engine? missing oil cap, cracked pcv hoses

may want to let it cool down first as well
    my distributor cap seals well so i dont have to worry about soaking it
    if your jeep wont start or runs choppy after you may have to remove the cap and dry it with paper towels

Comment

I always put a plastic bag and rubber band around the distributor and air filter (K&N). This works great cause you dont have to worry about the water blasting in. Also i spray some degreaser like Simple Green all over the engine before i wash the Jeep. Then I open the hood and wash the engine. It works for me :thumbs_up
      '91 YJ 4.0L
      33x12.5 BFG A/T
      A bunch of random aftermarket parts that are being replaced once i get back from Iraq!!

Comment

Sounds like a good question for Brian's Jeep washing forum. :yay:

Which I have never been invited to join btw....

otoh Brian would never get his unit that yukky to begin with.

Chris L.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston

Chris L.
          ROFL, on both counts.

Brian requested that only subscribers be priveledged enough to view his top secrets and hints. (Don't get too excited, there ain't much in there *Ducks & RUNS*)

J/K Brian your forum rocks!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Chris L.
            Originally posted by sarah
            ROFL, on both counts.

Brian requested that only subscribers be priveledged enough to view his top secrets and hints. (Don't get too excited, there ain't much in there *Ducks & RUNS*)

J/K Brian your forum rocks!
            See, this is what I get for not paying attention. I didn't see this until now. :mad:

anyway, yes good info up there... and it is a good idea to do it when the engine is cold (cold water/hot metal... not such a great idea).

FWIW, my engine compartment is a mess, haven't been keeping up on it.

and... Sarah's right... the Jeep washing forum ain't all that happeinin'.

you could just send her 20-30 bucks to become a damn(read:subscribed) member you cheap ass.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Spray some simple green or Super Clean on the engine, let it soak, then hose it down or pressure wash the sumbish.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The only thing you want to really avoid spraying is the alternator and the intake if you ask me. I also try not to spray directly on the battery/electricals and the fuse box (although it's sealed pretty well).

Other than that, you may want to let it sit and dry on it's own for a while before starting it but that's never been a problem for me.
                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Here's what I do and I'm pretty good at keeping it clean. First I'll mix equal parts of water, tire dressing and baby oil in a spray bottle (good for detail work too). Shake it up good, spray the cold engine and let it sit. This softens the mess up somewhat. Then I'll wipe that off as best as I can everywhere. Then I'll use some kind of orange fortifed detergent and hot water in a hand pump sprayer and spray the engine, cold of course with 2 or 3 gallons. This presure is not enough to harm anything but the left over dirt so it's OK to be agressive but I do stay away from the sensitive electronics. Again letting it sit for awhile then rinsing it with hot water only in the same sprayer and a good towel drying. Then for the finish another light spraying of the water/oil/dressing mix. Last time I did this I also waxed the underside of the hood, sound anal? It just takes time. I do something similar to the under side as well. Spend a day getting dirty, spend a day cleaning it up.

B&T TJ

Comment

'kin hell

You do Whaaaat?!?

:yay: Hey Brian :yay: you have some competition over here

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                      ....long scary post....

B&T TJ
                      I like to keep the underside of my jeep clean too. But I find it easiest to simply scrub the dirt/mud/road grim off with big rocks. The easiest was is to find a large boulder field, and start driving. Unfortunately, this method doesn't do a very good job of cleaning the engine.
                      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I wash the underside pretty much the same way I wash the rest of it...look for a relatively clear looking puddle.

Comment

You do Whaaaat?!?

:yay: Hey Brian :yay: you have some competition over here
                          I like to keep my rig clean.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Yup that's clean.

Where did you get the hi-temp brown textured exhaust manifold paint? :haha:

Cheers :beer: :thumbs_up

Chris L.

Comment

spray the hell out of it with super clean, count to 30, and run the pressure washer all over the whole mess. it will remove everything. takes 10 minutes. do the same for the underside of the jeep if you feel the need.
                              it works great for that greasy mud too.
                              just dont get it on the "good paint"
                              i have done this to my jeep many times. never covered anything, nor stayed away from any particular components under the hood. never a problem starting... never a problem at all.
                              that super clean kicks ass! if you get a spill on the driveway... super clean it. give it a copuple of strokes with a broom, and hose it off.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X