Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Noise in 97-01 XJ's

I am currently looking to buy a Jeep XJ and I have been test driving quite a few lately. One thing that I have been comming across is a noise when doing a tight turn in the 4x4, it almost sounds like the power stearing, but I don't think it could be that. It has happend with three out of the four I have test drove, these have all been newer models in the 97-01 range. I have driven in a 93 XJ and i've never hurd this before. Is this normal for the newer models? Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Its probably an axle u-joint! Pretty easy and cheapish to fix. Thats what it sounds like to me
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

sorry i cant offer real help...but welcome to MJR
      Last edited by blkTJ; 08-14-04, 01:43 AM.
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Do you know how to tell if it acutally is an axle u-joint? And is this a common problem in newer XJ's? Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

I think if you jack up the wheel and try it shake it side to side up down in out and spin it, i think if its worn out there might be a little play in the wheel. I think if it was worn out you would know my jacking it up
          B R E T T
          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

first inspect the u joints to make sure they all have their caps in place.

if that is the case, put the jeep in 4wd. jack up one front tire. watch the u joint as you try to spin the tire by hand. if there's no play in the joint, your good. repeat on other side.

good luck.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
              I think if you jack up the wheel and try it shake it side to side up down in out and spin it, i think if its worn out there might be a little play in the wheel. I think if it was worn out you would know my jacking it up

that sounds more like checking for bad ball joints.
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

new thought... your test driving these xjs on the street yes? don't put them in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and try to turn corners. they weren't meant to be used that way. you need a different transfer case for that.
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I didn't put it into 4x4 on dry pavement, it was either raining or it was in dirt when I did that. Thanks for all the imput!

Comment

I have a 98 xj and have it in 4x4 a lot (you gotsta) and have never had that problem, I wish I could help you more, but really have no idea. If you have the steering over all the way, it will whine, but thats in 4x2 as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X