Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look for warn hub lock protection

Yesterday I blew up a hub lock. It's a warn 5x4.5. It didnt fail internally. I was climbing up a step up and at the top of the step up was large split in the rock. I turned hard left for traction, hitting my hub lock on a rise in the granite. The weight of the jeep blew it up. You can only buy them in pairs so it put me out 260.00 to my door. Pricey!

So now my question is, does anyone know of a product that can slip over the hub lock and bolt to the wheel pattern to protect this from happening again? A nice strong circular cover that slips over it to cover it up while still being able to select the hubs engage/disengage.

It's really just a 5x4.5 plate that slips on and maybe some DOM tubing to go over the hub and welded up.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Make your own or have it made.

Comment

wheels with rock rings?
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

This sounds like a perfect storm situation to me, I don't see this happening again soon. I get the wheels with rock rings... but how often do you get rocks coming in sideways like that? I don't think there is a product out there that does what you want because I don't think it happens much. But you could make yer own... make sure you balance that bad boy.
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          This sounds like a perfect storm situation to me, I don't see this happening again soon. I get the wheels with rock rings... but how often do you get rocks coming in sideways like that? I don't think there is a product out there that does what you want because I don't think it happens much. But you could make yer own... make sure you balance that bad boy.
          I agree about the perfect storm. I was surprised how few things make that hub lock work and how much load they take. When it blew up it sounded like a gun shot and pieces went FLYING. I recovered all the pieces and none of them failed except for the housing. Big thanks to Robert over at RWKHAUS for getting me a new set in SUPER fast time. Ordered Friday late in the day and to my door on Monday morning. Put a bite on my Savvy front bumper purchase but Ill just trade my bologna sandwiches in for top ramen for a few days.
          Got my Rokmen rear bumper installed and TRIED to hit it on departures but couldn't. PITA to install but worth it.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I like the bumper. One thing I did was I added a wheel spacer to the formula which sinks the hub deeper into the rim.
            You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
            X