Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Stuck !

Im stuck everyone, I mean stuck ! I took my 61 Willys CJ5 for a ride to the Mini Mart for a Iced Cappachino. Somehow I got her locked in 3rd gear and cant get it unhooked. I tryed evrything, I rocked her, played with the linkage, I even pulled the top of the Trainy and shifter out. Hmmmmmmm
    Any advice folks
    Hopi
    [COLOR=Black]1961 Willy's CJ5[/COLOR] :cocktail:

What transmission is in it?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Hey Rick........It's a T-90 Tranny. The nice thing about an old Wiilys is, most things are very easily accesable. I was able to take the whole top plate off the Trans, and look right in. The shifter is a straight drop in, (no Linkage) it has 2 forks that attach directly to the gears. The gears seem free to me. It seems like it might be in the shifter itself, but i'm not totally sure. When I placed the shifter on my workbench....a small spring and a ball bearing dropped out, so now I need to figure out where the hell that goes and why it came out. NOW ! I wonder if I have an additional problem, or is there also this and the original problem? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......any advise from anyone out there, Im up for any suggestions.
      Gary

Comment

You should be able to slide the gears back and forth via the shift fork grooves to see if it will move from synchro to synchro. If not, that's the problem. Does the shifter move relatively easily with it on the bench? How about the shift rods in the top of the case? Do the shift forks move easily on the rods?
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Comment

OK RICK, YOU ROCK !
          I am able to move the gears pretty easy. In fact, I was able to move the gears and get it out of third. BUT ! When I slide the gears, they dont move very far, only a half inch or less. Is that normal ? The shifter itself if very difficult to move on the bench, but the forks move very freely back and fourth. So.............does this all mean it is most likley shifter problems? Now I still have the issue of the little spring and ball bearing in my hand, where the heck does that go ? LOL ! Thanks Rick
          Gary

Comment

those little detent balls a re a real pain in the ass! i have one of those on my bench from the ax15 i tried to rebuild... that little ball is what keeps mine stuck in third.
            your best bet is to get a look into a FSM for your rig. or your model transmission.
            i hope it works out for you.
            rick may be able to offer you some more help... he is a true master of transmissions :shades:
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks Nailer.... I appreciate all the help I can get. Rick has been alot of help as well. It can get a bit frustrating. But I'm keeping my composure. LOL ! Thanks
              Gary

Comment

The gears will only slide about 1/2" - remember you aren't actually changing any gears from tooth to tooth, just locking the shaft to the appropriate gear with the teeth on the side of the gear and the notches inside the synchro hub. Anyway... If the shifter doesn't move easily, that's probably the problem but it could be the shift index grooves are messed up (or the ball?). The ball goes in the shift index raceway inside the top of the trans, with the spring pushing down on the ball. As Erik noted, the ball and spring are often difficult to get in there. You should look at the shift index grooves to see if they are galled up or look like they would prevent that ball from sliding into/out of each gear. It may help to hold the shifter above the trans the way it would be mounted and move it in and out of gear to see the path of the bottom of the shift shaft and imagine where it would be moving the shift lever. That way you should be able to tell where that ball would travel, and thus where to look for bumps/notches that shouldn't be there. I can send you a pic if you want, let me know.
                My Jeep

Comment

Rick ! You are truly the Man....you have helped me on this so much. If you care to send me a pic, and its is not a problem to you, by all means do so. I really appreciate all the help you, sarah and everyone else has given me in this issue. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks Thanks !!!!! E-Mail Addy to follow
                  Gary
                  gah@comcast.net

Comment

Hey Rick and Nailer,
                    I want to thank you guys for all the help you gave me with my Shifter/Tanny problems. I took the info that you guys gave me and..............the Ball Bearing and Spring popped right in, and everything is working as advertised. I am up and running in time for the weekend.
                    You guys Rock and so does MyJeep.com. <S> to you both !
                    Thanks Guys
                    Gary
                    "Hopi"

Comment

you are welcome for the very little i added to the subject.
                      glad you got your jeep up and running!
                      :thumbs_up
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Right on man! Sorry I didn't send pic this weekend... I was doing battle with a York compressor... Sounds like you got it straight though, good deal.
                        My Jeep

Comment

Working...
                        X