Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transmission question

About two days ago I noticed my tranny fluid was a little low. So I added half a quart. A day later when driving it goes from 1st to third, and if I mash the gas it won't downshift. Now if I shift to second it's there.

Question being will too much tranny fluid cause this type of problem.
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Check the kickdown linkage. I had this same problem and my linkage just needed to be adjusted. If you dont know what or where it is, let me know and I'll do a mini write up.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yeah I am clueless on that one. I would appreciate the info though.
      [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

ok . . . hang on

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

first locate the kickdown linkage:

on my 98 TJ the little white clip has a "T" on it.

Remove the clip, there is a tab on either side that need to be pulled out, you'll see what Im talking about.

when the clip is removed the linkage will self adjust. just re install the clip and you should be good to go. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I had the same problem with my 98 and this fixed it. Sorry for the crappy pics . . . low light. Good Luck.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Thanks for the help Chris. Being that we both have 98s with a 4.0 and auto trans I should be able to get that done quite easily. If that doesn't work maybe I will drain some tranny fluid. I will be under there tomorrow anyway installing my sye and woody shaft. Once again thanks for the quick write-up.

Ryan
            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Popped the hood and found my kickdown linkage. Yeah, the plastic tab was broke. We'll see if some JB weld will hold that thing.
              [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

same think dif car

my friend has a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is doing the same thing as what u guys said but doing this did no seem to work he pulled the clip out and put it back but it still sticks any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by MrTouge
                  my friend has a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is doing the same thing as what u guys said but doing this did no seem to work he pulled the clip out and put it back but it still sticks any ideas?
                  Not really sure. That was the best answer I could come up with. Unless it has an electronically controlled tranny, then it maybe be a bad sensor or something.

good luck
                  -Chris
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

do u know if this trick is the same on an 96 Grand Cherokee as your cars?

Comment

I cant tell for sure, but I would imagine so. All kickdown linkages have adjustment, some are just different then others. A factory service manual will be able to tell you how to do it.
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                      X