Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange noise from beneath... SYE needed?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise from beneath... SYE needed?

About two months ago I install my 4" lift with the transfer case drop. I know it was recomended I get a new driveshaft and SYE. Here's the problem.

When I am driving below 20mph I get a sound that is something like a knocking, almost deep grinding. It's not steady but sporadic. This sound usually only happens starting out.

So I looked at my rear driveshaft and this is what I saw. Looks like the boot has come off, no big deal but the shaft itself has come out a slight bit.

I guess I just need advice on if you think this will get worse or if I should shell out the money for the SYE and Driveshaft?

Also is there a certain length I should get for the drive shaft?

[color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

in the first pic, it looks to me like the pinion snout should be pointed down a little more. the axis of the pinion should be parallel to the axis of the output shaft.

this might make more sense:

if you don't want to deal with aligning the pinion, it actually looks like your angle is correct to add a SYE and new driveshaft (pinion should point at the output shaft).

your vibration probably won't get worse, buy you'll start eating up u-joints in a big hurry. if you decide to get a SYE, you'll have a longer than stock driveshaft, which will improve your angles, and will also (most likely) be stronger.

Check out Tom Woods for SYE/driveshaft kits, custom made to order: http://www.4xshaft.com/conversions.html

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don't think I could've found a better or more straight forward explanation. Had I known my angles were that bad I would have ordered the SYE and driveshaft right after I did the lift. Only bad thing is I will have to wait till Monday to order. Thanks again.
      [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

what degree are the shims that came with the lift? i suggest for the time being to reduce the degrees by 2*. then when you get the money for the sye, you replace the whole mess.
        i run 4* shims with my 4" lift. i used 6* with out the sye. [i think] just make the pinion point down a bit....
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          what degree are the shims that came with the lift? i suggest for the time being to reduce the degrees by 2*. then when you get the money for the sye, you replace the whole mess.
          i run 4* shims with my 4" lift. i used 6* with out the sye. [i think] just make the pinion point down a bit....
          TJ's dont have shims. Thats what Adjustable control arms are for. IMHO, just leave it as it is, just make sure nothing is binding. If you try to point the pinion down, you will either bind the driveshaft or it will fall out . . . or both!
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yeah I was thinking there were no shims. I would leave it but knowing my luck as soon as I take it on the trail it will be all over. I'm not going to change the caster on the rear, it seems perfect for the CV shaft. It's a shame I have to wait till monday to order SYE and the Tom Woods shaft. This Tom Woods guy is pretty famous for his shaft.
            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
              This Tom Woods guy is pretty famous for his shaft.
              Indeed, alot of people see to like his shaft. I think Nailer has had his shaft at one point. Very Beefy shaft, with alot of travel.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

LMAO That's too funny!
                [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Working...
                X