Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak?

My 4.0 is leaking oil like dripping steady even with the engine off from the front of block looks like head gasket area. it is leaking down on the water pump under the thermostat housing area. any ideas?
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Hy there Dave,

I have a 91 wrangler with 185K miles on it that leaks from the rear seal. I called chrysler so see about having it replaced and they told not to worry about it cuz with a new seal it would still leak. They told me just to keep oil in it and I would be fine. They said that the 4.0 was their best motor and it would be ok. I haven't any trouble and I still have good oil pressure. Not sure how bad yours is but maybe give them a call for there advise. Best of luck with that.

Jason

Comment

Sounds like a valve cover gasket

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Sounds like a valve cover gasket
        x2 What he said.

Comment

valve cover is good dry around it almost look like it where the head meets the block hard to see in that area

Comment

Are you loosing coolant?

Comment

No coolant leak

Comment

I am confused. If your head gasket is leaking you should see coolant loss. Otherwise, it's the valve cover then. Without seeing it of course.

Comment

Mine was puking oil out of the front seal behind the balancer.

Comment

check your timing chain cover. If the top bolts are loose, the chain might be throwing oil out the top and would appear that there is oil coming from the the head gasket area under the head. If that is the case, the front main seal is leaking. That area behind the chain cover should be dry as the front seal for the crank sits behind the balancer and what I would call a sand seal ( a convex metal washer looking thing) which is inside the timing cover. If it is the head gasket like you might suspect, you would either be losing coolant or you would see oil in your coolant. Just my :2:
                    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Working...
                    X