Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible drivetrain problem?

My handle for my 4x4 lever shifts into place but it kinda jiggles around and the light doesnt always come on, is it not engaging or what?

My experience has been that if the 4WD light is not on, then the Jeep is not in 4 wheel drive. If the handle jiggles around like you have seen, start with a crawl under the Jeep to have a look at the linkage from the handle to the T-case. Look for any excessive movement or worn parts. Have someone shift the handle through its motions while you watch.

If there is no obvious problems with the linkage, you might want to check your transmission mount. A torn or damaged transmisson mount can keep your Jeep from staying in 4WD.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

ok, ill definitely check under my jeep. My part time light comes on eventually but the last time my full time light came on, it looked like the light was goin out kinda so i was wondering if it could be a wiring problem or something.

Comment

Originally posted by grolla42 View Post
        ok, ill definitely check under my jeep. My part time light comes on eventually but the last time my full time light came on, it looked like the light was goin out kinda so i was wondering if it could be a wiring problem or something.
        Anything is possible. If the handle seems loose, the linkage may not be engaging the switch properly. The light may be acting that way to only being partly contacted.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Im gonna do it myself, is it hard to adjust linkage?

Comment

Not really hard. I recommend picking up a Haynes or Chilton maintenance manual before you start. They have lot's of good information and photos about the details of each area of the Jeep. It will come in handy for all kinds of things.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Ok, cool. I already have a haynes manual.

Comment

If you have the Dana 30 front end with the vacum activated shift fork, that dash light is just an indicator to let you know your in 4WD. If it's coming on and then going off intermitently and the transfer case is not actually poping out of gear then it's most likly the sensor. Check the connections on the sensor at the shift fork housing and make sure they are nice and tight. It could be the vacum line or lines is/are bad (check to make sure that they are on nice and tight and there are no leaks.) or it could be that the sensor/ground wires are not connected properly. Check the easy stuff first and then move onto the harder stuff if you can't find the easy solution move on and check the shift fork, they do go out or break on occassion. They are easy to replace and not to expensive. You should check that linkage also, if its loose then it could be it's not activating the 4WD sensor correctly.

Mike is right! A Haynes or Chilton manual for your year vehicle is always a good thing to have on hand.

Just my :2:

Scott
                Last edited by avjeepfreek; 11-04-09, 11:22 PM.
                "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I was told I have a D35 front axle because my '90 comes with ABS

Comment

I don't believe they make the D35 for the front, the 35 is only in the rear as far as I know. It's got to be a D30. Look at the front diff cover and if it looks kind of sqaure but with rounded corners it's the D30. It will also have the number 30 stamped on it near the top of the pumpkin.

Scott

Comment

Oh, alright, cool. Ill check that out tomorrow morning. Im guessin I have a D30 front and D35 rear. No worries, I will resolve my dilemma, tomorrow!

Comment

Cool, hope you get it all figured out! Here is a link that might help in id'ing what axle you have.

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Comment

Thranks bro, this will for sure help out a lot

Comment

Working...
                          X