Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many lockers... So little time........

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
    it's actually called yukon zip locker...
    If what I have read is correct, the Yukon Zip Locker is a copy of the old-style ARB.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I like my ARB's have worked very well for me easy on and off quick engagement and disengagement.
      Ox locker is not bad but do not like cables seen to many shift cables get real stiff in other applications
      Makes shiftiong hard and tedious and the cables are not cheap, you also have to be very carefull in routing them to avoid stiff operation. Other than that it seems to be a good unit that a lot of people like

Comment

Originally posted by chilidipper View Post
        I currently have a Eaton locker in front and welded rear spider gear. I do like the idea of being able to disenage when you want to. I turn on the fr locker only when I am in a climb that requires it (rarely). I should add that the "V" Notch at Cleghorn is the most dificult area I have been on to date. I am still in learning stage.
        The cable locker sounds very appealing. Not much to go wrong with it besides a broken cable. Ever any trouble getting it to enagage?
        I would think it would be pretty difficult to break an OX cable. It's pretty thick plus it actually pushes to engage the locker. Don't need to worry about a stretch cable.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post

With a locker, when one wheel loses traction, all of the torque is applied the the wheel with the most amount of traction.
          In selectable lockers both axle shafts are "Locked" together with the torque being applied to both wheels.
          Last edited by Dukes69; 06-09-09, 12:07 PM.

Comment

A TrueTrac is a gear-driven limited slip, and a Detroit LOCKER is, well, a locker. Think of it this way:

With an open diff, ALL of the available torque is applied to the wheel with the least amount of traction.

With a limited slip, when one wheel loses traction, the LSD will transfer SOME of the available torque to the wheel with the most traction.

With a locker, when one wheel loses traction, all of the torque is applied the the wheel with the most amount of traction.

In cases where both wheels have equal traction, for ALL of the above, torque is divided 50/50 between the wheels. It's when a wheel loses traction that it starts to make a difference.
            So, TrueTrac is like what's on my Avalanche? Limited-slip? These are cheaper. Good or bad? I see some use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post

In selectable lockers both axle shafts are "Locked" together with the torque being applied to both wheels.
              So selectable locker is "TrueTrac"?
              Last edited by Dukes69; 06-09-09, 12:08 PM.

Comment

No true trac is a limited slip differential

Comment

I have an auburn ected electric locker works good no problems yet (2 years with 33"s now on 35"s). It acts like a limited slip when not engaged and I rarely lock it up. Up front I have a detriot truetrac in the dana 30 it seems to work good also until a tire comes off the ground then I have to ride the brake too get it too engage the tire thats not spinning. I am alittle leary of putting a locker in the front d30 because of strength issues.

Eatons are installed in military humvees and are supposed to apply more torque to the wheel with more traction. Each hub has it own gear reduced planetary also maybe they work better together somehow. I wonder why they didnt put full lockers in military humvees???
                  Last edited by Jeeperator; 06-08-09, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post

Technically yes, but you cannot have torque unless you have something to apply leverage against. If you have a wheel in the air, ALL of the torque is being transmitted to the tire on the ground.
                    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                      So, TrueTrac is like what's on my Avalanche? Limited-slip? These are cheaper. Good or bad? I see some use them.
                      The limited slip in your Avalanche is actually a Gov-Loc, which is a true locker, but be warned, they're also called Gov-Bombs, because if you push it too hard, it will explode, literally.

As for lockers in D30's, you can make them survive with 35's, but you need Chromoly axles at least, and some sort of better U-Joint like the OX joints or CTMs.

Comment

The limited slip in your Avalanche is actually a Gov-Loc, which is a true locker, but be warned, they're also called Gov-Bombs, because if you push it too hard, it will explode, literally.

As for lockers in D30's, you can make them survive with 35's, but you need Chromoly axles at least, and some sort of better U-Joint like the OX joints or CTMs.

That's on my list

Comment

Technically yes, but you cannot have torque unless you have something to apply leverage against. If you have a wheel in the air, ALL of the torque is being transmitted to the tire on the ground.
                          So, if a tire is in the air, a locker will still spin the tire in the air and the one on the ground? If it's in the air, it is getting nothing anyway correct? I am missing something?

Why do people go with the truetrac then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                            I have an auburn ected electric locker works good no problems yet (2 years with 33"s now on 35"s). It acts like a limited slip when not engaged and I rarely lock it up. Up front I have a detriot truetrac in the dana 30 it seems to work good also until a tire comes off the ground then I have to ride the brake too get it too engage the tire thats not spinning. I am alittle leary of putting a locker in the front d30 because of strength issues.

Eatons are installed in military humvees and are supposed to apply more torque to the wheel with more traction. Each hub has it own gear reduced planetary also maybe they work better together somehow. I wonder why they didnt put full lockers in military humvees???
                            Hey Beau,

I'm getting ready to install an Auburn ECTED locker in the D35 on my YJ. I'm running a 4 banger/5 speed with 33's and I went with the 30 spline ECTED locker and 30 spline USA Alloy axle shafts with 4.88 gears. I was in hopes someone would post up something good about that locker!

Glad to here that you havn't had any problems with yours! I cant wait to get mine in.

Scott
                            Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-08-09, 06:20 PM.
                            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

This is an often discussed topic. I can comment from personal experience that the ARB's are tough and reliable. I had the same pair in my CJ for eight years and never had a problem. I had a D60 rear, D44 front and most of my wheeling has been in the rocks. I broke U joints, knuckles, snapped and twisted chrome moly axle shafts on the front, but never had a problem with the lockers.

ARB's rarely fail, but when the do the typical cause is user related. ARB's are not designed to be engaged or disengaged while the tires are slipping or there is stress in the drive line.

On trails where there are short distances between obstacles like the Hammers, I unlock the diff's, drive to the next obstacle and lock them in again before I start. On trails with tight switchbacks the Jeep steers a lot easier with the front unlocked. On pavement in two wheel drive the Jeep handles better (especially in rain/snow) with the rear unlocked.

I've also run Detroit's front and rear, and think they're a good option for the rear but would much rather run an ARB in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                                So, if a tire is in the air, a locker will still spin the tire in the air and the one on the ground? If it's in the air, it is getting nothing anyway correct? I am missing something?

Why do people go with the truetrac then?
                                Simply because of the "limited slip" capability. A Limited Slip Diff (LDS) enhances traction and increases torque to the tire thats stuck but won't completely lock up both axles.

The Trutrac is probly the way I will go in my front D30. Unless, I fall in love with the ECTED and decide to put one up front too!
                                Last edited by Dukes69; 06-09-09, 12:09 PM.
                                "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Working...
                                X