Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Front axle shaft question

While going over my Jeep with a fine tooth come I noticed that one of the front axle shaft u joints turned about 1/8" inside of its yoke ear.
    It still feels good. So the question is, can I just give it some paint marks and monitor it, after I put the retaining clip back in its original position.
    The u joint it self is fine, does not feel stiff when you twist and flex it. We are going to spend in Moab and don't feel like doing a lot of wrenching on the trail.

'Fix it at home' or a 'trail fix', I would be pondering. Once in awhile I also mark my joints and watch them.

Once, one moved a bit, a spot weld took care of it meantime, until I replaced it.

My 2cents

Comment

Tony, I got spare shaft, extra u joints a balljoint press etc. Kinda where I am at is it barely moved chaning the u joint is not fixing anything since this one is not bad true fix would be to replace the stub shaft, but I feel that its not quite that bad.
      If I can wait till I built a hi pinion d30 for my little beasty. I would prefer that since that one will get some fancy aftermarket shafts.

Comment

Art,
        Probably time to look into some heat treated axles. This is fairly common. What can happen next is the cap will turn enough to pop off the retaining clip, cap pops out... You get the picture. I replaced mine a few years back when I discovered a slight twist in the splines, driver side.

Tom

Comment

Before I upgraded to chromoly stubs when I still had my Dana 30, I had noticed that the ears on the stock stubs had wallowed out, allowing the u-joint cap to move quite freely in the ear. I was waiting for my Superior stubs to get in, but had a planned wheeling trip before they could get here. I welded the 760 caps into the stub (quite well, actually...they were never coming out again), and wheeled Sledgehammer and Aftershock on that combo. I never had a problem, and they live on as spares in someone else's Jeep. I'm sure they'll get them home if the time comes to ever need them.
          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

The caps aren't even close to spinning yet
            I absolutely agree that in time it needs stronger shafts. Tack welding some washers on is an option.
            Kinda what I was looking for is this, by the look of it the yoke ears spread a bit maybe like a few 0.001's
            of an inch in a driveshaft I would not begin to worry about it. When it did that it turned one of the u joint caps about 1/8 of an inch. I don't think its due for imminent destruction. What I was looking for somebodies opinion on how quick it will go from here to keblang. I know its not exact sciences, just kinda looking for some input from some of the folks that have been there done that

Comment

My theory on breakage is that as long as you aren't aware of the problem, breakage due to lack of maintenance will be delayed almost indefinitely. As soon as you become aware of it, however, the likelyhood of that part breaking increases 10000% and will almost assuredly let you down the next time you use it.

This theory has absolutely no basis in scientific fact, but has proven true for me more times than I can count.
              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I figured something like that, and because of that I cured it with a quick trip to superior axle in Rancho Cucamonga. I know it spread the axle shaft yoke ears ever so slightly and even if it would not fail it would make me aprehensive all week next week.
                I want my fun in Moab next week and not overly worry about it so now its fixed. to shiny new axle shafts.
                Looks like its cheapest to get them directly from superior

Comment

I replace my U-joints whenever I suspect anyhting, it's just too easy not to do it in the garage with the tunes and plenty of :beer: instead of the trail, as far as driveline, it's never a bad idea to replace if you have any doubts, and then you have spares... just like you did. it's the responsable thing to do,

x2 on the 10000% breakage factor after noticing the slightest tweak...
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

ha art if you want to drop it off at my place i'll take i look at it ........i dont know what i'll be looking for but at least i'll try hehehe ....work sucks this week , not looking good for moab for me !!!!

Comment

That sucks Steve, I fixed it didn't even bugger up the new shafts if you know what I mean. It has 2 shiny new superior shafts in the front. All better.

Comment

Working...
                      X