Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tj 8.8

I orderd an 8.8 with 456's and ARB today. I also am having the front D30 gear change and ARB installed at the same time.

Does anyone have any insight into better front axle shafts. I understand that is the weaklink on the D30.

I would have prefered Ox locker, But because of the company being a little flakey I went with ARB's. I already have OBA so that part is handled.
    I hope this cures my drive train problems for awhile.
    456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

the warn hub conversion is a nice addition to the dana 30. add the warn inner shafts to it, and you really have something.
    if this is up your alley let me know, i may be able to help you find a good price on it.
    it is about $1000
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The axles really aren't the week point. D30's usually break because one of the caps comes off and shears the ears.

If you ordered an 8.8, why didn't you just get a 9". 8.8 is still c clip, 9" isn't.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I just did a high pinion D30 in the front. $500 plus all the stuff you need to upgrade anyways. Stonger set up due to the pinion hitting the ring gear on the "drive" side.

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2
          I just did a high pinion D30 in the front. $500 plus all the stuff you need to upgrade anyways. Stonger set up due to the pinion hitting the ring gear on the "drive" side.
          that is true.. the tj dana 30 is weaker than the yj. the yj ahs the reverse cut ring, and pinion. but either way, if you get the warn hub conversion on the tj axle, and you find the next weakest link on that... you can still utilize all of the parts on the yj reverse cut 30.
          lots of decisions to be made.
          ERIK

Comment

The warn kit also allows you to run a better U joint. That is what I am looking into.
            As for the 9" it is a better rearend. The deal I am getting gets disc brakes and 31 spline axles for alot less $$. The rotor will hold a broken axle nearly as good as a bearing retainer plate. With either rearend with a broken axle you are not going to drive it home on the freeway.

I have a 9" 31 spline for a 5 on 5.5 with leaf pads if anyone needs one for a Cj. It should be a pretty easy install. The width is close to a CJ. I is out of a 70 ford 1/2 ton pickup. I have an extra drop in 3rd member with it both with highway gears.

Too many options! Too much $$$$. SYE next.

Comment

What is the width of the 9". I'm interested.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT
                terry.. here is something for you to look at on ebay. this is a great start for the front hub conversion.
                this stuff is about $1000 retail price.
                ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                  I will measure it and let you know. I got home late we were in Paradise for the weekend.

Comment

I am JONESIN bad I need my jeep on the road, it maybe a couple of weeks more. By the time I get it all together again. But the weekend I get it fixed I am going camping and wheeling all weekend. I will post a last minute trip when I get it together. It is going to be awesome to have some low gears finally.

Comment

i feel your pain! i went and did all of that stuff to my jeepp and havent taken it out yet! now the locker is slowing me down.
                      tds! gotta be ready for tds!
                      good luck with yours terry!
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                        Axle to Axle aprox 61" Come by next time you are down for the weekend. I live in Agua Dulce near Rowher Flats.

Comment

My new 8.8 with arb and 456 gears is ready for install. Joe also got me a great deal on bigger hardened axles and arb for the front too. This also gives me disc brakes on the rear. It should be all ready next week.
                          Yea I'm almost ready to romp again!!!!

Comment

Muy Bueno! Be good to see you out there again.

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2
                              Muy Bueno! Be good to see you out there again.
                              All these good improvemnts may make me look like I know how to drive. Its got to help.
                              T

Comment

Working...
                              X