Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I don't understand "Ghey Lift" but that looks pretty cool.True bigger pucks would be quicker but your using your head for something other then a hammer on a wall(I know a few in this line of work)just because your broke.I have had the pleasure of working on a plywood driveway with a tarp strung between trees but not with the same inventive tech you have.Great job,and looking forward to seeing it when your done.

Scott,you still haven't told me what Klune V is yet
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thank you Ron. I'm improving. Can't wait to start playing with the TIG.

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
      Well I don't understand "Ghey Lift" but that looks pretty cool.True bigger pucks would be quicker but your using your head for something other then a hammer on a wall(I know a few in this line of work)just because your broke.I have had the pleasure of working on a plywood driveway with a tarp strung between trees but not with the same inventive tech you have.Great job,and looking forward to seeing it when your done.
      Thank you for the kind words, Dennis. I didn't actually think this mod up myself. I never gave body lifts that much thought. I think I saw a TJ build on Pirate awhile back that had something like this, so I filed it away in my brain *just in case.* I tried looking the thread up again the other day, and that's when I found the Gen-Right ad (same product that Ol Man suggested). If I had a full time job, I would have bought their product.

You know, I've never been a fan of body lifts--especially on Jeeps. But they do have their place, and now one has a rather permanent place on my Jeep. I brought it up an even inch, and that's not so bad. This body lift will help me get the guts up high and tight. Heck, I could use the additional tire clearance, since I even rub my modest, worn-out 33s. So it will actually contribute directly to the capability of the Jeep. Not so cheesy when I think of it that way. Stock TJ skid plate--now that's cheesy.

Hey Scott, where'd you go? Come back! Did I say something wrong? (Did you expect me not to say something wrong?) :dunno:
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Sry, I must have missed this that last few times I was here. A Klune V is a underdrive that goes between the Trans and the Tcase. The "David" box is a 4:1 gear reduction. You do lose some rear drive line length. But I need to a MM lift and a BL so I can do a flat belly skid anyway. The Klune is already setup to clock your tcase up to nine degree I think so everything should tuck up under a flat belly skid. With the Klune you get all your stock gear choices and then you can engage the Klune and add 4:1 reduction to any gear including 2wd. Most importantly they are simple installs. You use the stock tcase mounts when you are all done. They are pricy but I have seen some used ones sell for $1000. It’s about the same price as finding a used np241j or installing a terra low with the 2low mod. But when you are done you get a low low crawl ratio of 6.7:1 without losing your 2.7:1 stock low range.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Just remembered seeing a rear brace for the Atlas. It's basically a plate 3/8"? with the radius cut to fit the Atlas tailshaft housing and has a clamping cap. The flat end can either be mounted to the pan, or it can be hung from an overhead crossmember so you can drop the pan and not have to support the drivetrain. I'll try to find the site if you want.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Yeah, Roark Fab's Atlas Support Ring. I recall "BillaVista" on Pirate included it in his Atlas project/ write-up. Pretty cool, but another $110 + shipping that I don't have. If I need to I'll make one, but getting that circle just right is kinda labor intensive.

Here's their website: http://www.roarkfabrication.com/
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
              Sry, I must have missed this that last few times I was here. A Klune V is a underdrive that goes between the Trans and the Tcase. The "David" box is a 4:1 gear reduction. You do lose some rear drive line length. But I need to a MM lift and a BL so I can do a flat belly skid anyway. The Klune is already setup to clock your tcase up to nine degree I think so everything should tuck up under a flat belly skid. With the Klune you get all your stock gear choices and then you can engage the Klune and add 4:1 reduction to any gear including 2wd. Most importantly they are simple installs. You use the stock tcase mounts when you are all done. They are pricy but I have seen some used ones sell for $1000. It’s about the same price as finding a used np241j or installing a terra low with the 2low mod. But when you are done you get a low low crawl ratio of 6.7:1 without losing your 2.7:1 stock low range.
              Thanks for the info Scott,I've heard of overdrive units but not this,sound cool.
              Dave,I'm kind a old school about body lifts myself. But after reading all the build posts on here I see the advantages of them,your's is the 1'st I've seen this way.Hell back up North we just built SOA on our 4x4's so we could get through the mud
              Dennis and Tammy

Comment

I am with you there Dennis, the way David did his body is a nice way of doing it. I actually bet it catches on. Very clean look.

Comment

What's the OD?
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                    What's the OD?
                    LOL,there used to be a OD you could put on your D18 TC where the PTO plate is.
                    Last edited by GP4Play; 03-23-10, 07:58 AM.
                    Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Outer Diameter of the output housing.
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

No, I think Denis is referancing OverDrive because I was talking about an Underdrive system. I am liking the Box4Rox kit too. Its a little more fabrication than I feel comfortable doing. But I am a really cautious "mechanic". And so far I have found that I don't learn much unless I am overextending my abilities just a little bit. But it is nice to have some people to call on when I am a little over my head. So thank you again David for letting me call you up and ask you more questions than were probably necessary when I was installing my locker. And sorry for hijacking your build thread. This build is as unique as your windshield frame of doom.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

No worries about the hijack, Scott, and glad I could be of help. I still think blasting the carrier out would have been the best approach, but at least you got it done.

That's the great thing about DIY building a Jeep. You can adapt other peoples' ideas to your build, or come up with your own solutions. You can be creative, and it's always a learning process--for me at least. Right now the Jeep is on the back burner, but I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

Update: Jeep is sitting on the new body mounts, but I'm missing one of the bushings. Several of my dogs are suspect. I made some 1" motor mount spacers (will post pics soon I hope). I found "cancer" around on of the body mount bungs (in the tub) and had to grind most of it out. I welded it up pretty much solid--as in solid steel. I also welded the back of the floor tie-ins for the windshield/ rollcage. I suppose I'll post a pic of that in the Windshield Frame of Doom thread, but since this body lift is going to work along with my cage to frame tie-ins (just like my other mounts, but longer), the lines of my separate projects are beginning to blur somewhat.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Looking through an old JP Magazine, apparently BD Power www.bd-power.com makes a short throw shifter for the 4500. Any progress?
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure that shifter would be a nice upgrade, but I'd never know how nice until I'd actually driven with the stock setup for awhile. At $250 I'll have to put that on my long-term wishlist.

Jeep was on the back burner for a minute. Besides some other things, I had to change out the strut cartridges in my car. Never done that before. I did have some difficulties (although not where I'd anticipated) which led to the invention of a new kind of tie rod and ball joint splitter. Once I had that sorted out, the job went like a breeze. I actually had fun using my new tool. Now a phantom electrical problem has come back to the car. I'm thinking it's a ground somewhere.

I have made some progress on the Jeep. I'll post more up later.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Sparks are the same in cars as Jeeps. What is it?
                                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                                X