Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
        That Atlas sure looks puuurty!
        It sure do!

Originally posted by Ol Man
        You might want to consider these from GenRight to do your body lift:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=BMT2001
        An excellent suggestion, thank you. That's a nice kit and I wouldn't have to figure out the slightly different heights for the body mounts (assuming I stay with the stock rake). I actually asked for a price with shipping on Pirate yesterday. Thing is, it would be easier for me to fab those myself than to come up with $100 + tax. I have some rectangular tubing I once intended to make a bumper out of--that should work nicely.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
          It sure do!

An excellent suggestion, thank you. That's a nice kit and I wouldn't have to figure out the slightly different heights for the body mounts (assuming I stay with the stock rake). I actually asked for a price with shipping on Pirate yesterday. Thing is, it would be easier for me to fab those myself than to come up with $100 + tax. I have some rectangular tubing I once intended to make a bumper out of--that should work nicely.
          It looks great sitting in there.How close is the shifter going to come to the dash when in 1'st?From the pic it look's tight.Thanks for the up-date.
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
            It looks great sitting in there.How close is the shifter going to come to the dash when in 1'st?From the pic it look's tight.Thanks for the up-date.
            Well, I haven't made the shifter yet, so basically it's going to be as far from the dash as I need it to be. Advance Adapter's TJ bellhousing kit comes closer to the dash, because their conversion bellhousing is shorter (by a couple of inches IIRC) than the stock NV3550 bellhousing + 1/4" adapter I'm using. They actually suggest welding a piece of flat stock (say 1" x 4" x 1/8" thk) to the top of the shifter stub with the long part of the shifter welded to the other end of the flat stock so that it's staggered backwards. The idea is to hide that booty fab ugliness under the shift boot. I don't think I'll have to go there, but if I do, I'll do it cleaner and stronger. We'll see how the 4500 shifter lines up with the old console and boot (or if I can even use the old console, for that matter).

One serendipitous thing about the way my particular install worked out is that it puts the main body of the Atlas directly underneath the tub floor reinforcement crossmember (for lack of a better word). Now that I've cut out the body underneath, it actually fits up inside there. That provides a good amount of additional clearance. Unfortunately, the front right nut for the driver's seat is hanging down there getting in the way. If I wasn't being picky I could have a pretty respectable flat skid, but I would never be totally happy with it knowing that it wasn't flush with the frame.
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 03-14-10, 02:49 PM. Reason: added word crossmember
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Coming along very nicely David

Comment

Thank you, Art. I'm working on the new mounts now. What a beautiful day!
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by invert'd View Post
                  thank you, art. I'm working on the new mounts now. What a beautiful day!
                  very nice day!

Comment

If you have too much trouble getting the Atlas to fit, I'll trade you straight across for a 231.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      If you have too much trouble getting the Atlas to fit, I'll trade you straight across for a 231.

Straight trade plus :beer:

Comment

I'll throw in pizza!!
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

How about one of you brings two pizzas, the other a case of beer. You can both eat the pizza, drink the beer, then fight over the Atlas. While you two are slugging it out, I'll kick back and get some great entertainment, then slip off with the Atlas and both of your NP231s while you're both making up and saying "I love you, man!" :cocktail: :beer:
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Better yet, Tell David he has some mail. It's a jeep part to big to deliver and it's at USPS (that should eat up part of his day). I'll come over in my red jeep (water base finger paint job), tools in hand, and a steak for the dog (he has one mean one) . Much cheaper!

Comment

I can't compete with this logic!
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

You'd never make it out of my redneck rigged Jeep booby trap alive! Guess I won't have to feed the dogs for week or so... Nice of you to bring your Jeep over, BTW. For the record, Bo ain't mean--he's a very sweet dog who just wants to sink his teeth into a trespasser really bad. Bela just goes canine insane--she's feral I tell you. Scooby (all 200+ lbs of him) might not attack outright, but he will sneak up from behind and bite (he's done it). I doubt Star would bite anyone--she's more of an alarm dog.

Enough about my lovable puppies. Here are the body mounts so far. Got all 6 cut out, but figure I'll do the roll cage front tie-ins while I'm at it. These are much beefier than stock--at least 3/16" thick.

holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                                X