• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAILER341
    replied
    i can only post what i have.
    which is as follows:
    60mm throttle body, oversized ford fuel injectors, and a 4.0
    with these things added, there was a "seat of the pants" difference in throttle response. the rpms seemed to climb more quickly under load than before the bored tb, and injectors.
    [the injectors were replaced rather than cleaned because it was just a few bucks more than having them professionally cleaned] also, at the time the injectors were purchaced, i was half ass considering stroking the 4.0. they replaced injectors with 217,000 miles on them.

on to the milage.
    my milage is probably no better than yours.
    around town, and on an average tank of gas i am getting 10-13 mpg.
    on a long trip, however, i get great milage. i have seen in the neighborhood of 15.8 mpg. now when i say long trip, i mean from full tank to empty tank without stop, and go.
    if i stop, the milage falls apart.

since the majority of the posts i made on this subject, there have been a lot of changes.
    in the beginning i had a k&n filter. i have since also changed from the yj exhaust system, which had an emptied out catalytic convertor * to a complete tj exhaust system with a healthy cat.
    i havent retested the milage, which i will do again on my next long trip. the throttle response still feels nice though.
    i have never had the jeep on a dyno for real testing. it is strictly how it "feels"

Leave a comment:

• mrblaine
    replied
    Alright Eric, you're killin' me here. First you have great throttle response, later you casually mention that you have new injectors that are larger and then in another thread, you are getting above average gas mileage.

I am horribly confused. Must be the YJ version of the motor and computer??

I don't doubt you, just don't understand.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Hill
    replied
    OK now that makes sence add more fuel and more air and get results. My statment was based on a constant fuel supply.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    i have never put my jeep on a dyno, so i am speaking only from a seat of the pants feel.
    when i speak of being more responsive, i mean that it seems that the rpms seem to go up faster from idle. it may have to do with the injectors. my stock injectors were messing up, so i replaced them with some larger ford injectors.
    perhaps the 2 things working together is what is giving me the feel of more power.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Hill
    replied
    Erik,

You lost me on making the t-body bigger for better response. Are you sure there is not more top end so it seems better????

I ask this cause to make a carb more responsive you restrict air flow so the velocity of the air is greater, to make more top end you open up the carb to get more horse power due to more possible air to mix with fuel.

Is a t body on an injected unit that different?? Or are you seeing the extra power at high RPM’s????

Thanks
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Hill; 11-16-04, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 98sahara
    replied
    How much did you pay to have it bored? I am thinking about boring mine to 60mm unless i can find a great deal on 62mm or they will bore it and add the butterfly to 62mm for not to much more.

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    Any suggestions on what to use to clean it up before taking it to the machine shop? I have heard carb cleaner works great.
    Gunk Engine Brite followed by brake cleaner. Make sure you remove all the sensors first.

Leave a comment:

• RUBICONN
    replied
    My bad!

My bad all.... I'm used to newer jeeps on the other websites... not much experience with people owning older models. Otherwise, it may help a few of you, but not all. I'm still learning! Just out of curiousity, I would still contact them to see if they would consider doing other TB's. One drawback, unless you have a temp. replacement, you would be without your Jeep till it came back...

Michael

Leave a comment:

• nagal
    replied
    I checked the jeepersandcreepers site. They only offer 60mm bored out throttle bodies. It would probably be cheaper to go to a machine shop and have it bored out.

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by RUBICONN
    Hey all, I know of a company in California that sells bored TB's. The company is Jeepers and Creepers. Talk to James. I have yet to do this, but everyone who has seems to rave about it. Additionally, another member at the website I frequent (Rubicon Owners Forum) owns a company that makes portable emission equiptment. He ran a test and it came out exceptionally clean.

Website: http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com/ge...rottlebody.htm

If you would like the numbers on emissions, drop me a line:

bluerubi@sbcglobal.net

Michael
    so i guess im SOL for an 87 4.0L??? i see 91-96 but those are the high output motors. Will it work for mine? or is it better for me just to go to a machine shop and getting it bored, and once i do that what about the butterfly valve do i need a new bigger one.

Leave a comment:

• RUBICONN
    replied
    Bored TB

Hey all, I know of a company in California that sells bored TB's. The company is Jeepers and Creepers. Talk to James. I have yet to do this, but everyone who has seems to rave about it. Additionally, another member at the website I frequent (Rubicon Owners Forum) owns a company that makes portable emission equiptment. He ran a test and it came out exceptionally clean.

Website: http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com/ge...rottlebody.htm

If you would like the numbers on emissions, drop me a line:

bluerubi@sbcglobal.net

Michael

Leave a comment:

• nagal
    replied
    I did miss the 2.4. I see 2. and automatically think 2.5

Leave a comment:

• drivenhardse
    replied
    YUP I DID SAY oop caps on 2.4 ill look into that 4.0 throttle body tho thanks

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by nagal
    I have read the best thing to do with 2.5 is get a 4.0 throttle body and put in on. No boring or anything like that

he did say 2.4 which i think is the new 4cyl right? im not sure how different the 2.4s are compared to the older 2.5s......just pointing that out

Leave a comment:

• nagal
    replied
    I have read the best thing to do with 2.5 is get a 4.0 throttle body and put in on. No boring or anything like that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X