Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2wd to 4wd

I currently own a 2wd XJ and have a parts jeep with everything to make it 4wd. I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips or suggestions for replacing the 2wd with a 4wd. Both are automatic if that helps. What all would i have to take out of the parts jeep?

Obviously youll need:
    T-case, shorter rear driveline(i would assume) front driveline, the hardest(or maybe most time consuming will probably be putting the new front axle in. Plus you gotta cut the metal floor to put in the T-case shifter. There will be some hoses coming from the T-case to the front axle for the vacuum disconnect. Umm....i might think of other stuff later.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Oh yea also...what years are these 2 jeeps?
      B R E T T

Comment

The jeep that im putting the 4wd in is a 92 and im guessing the other jeep is a late 80's. One other question, Will i have to remove the tranny or anything? Or just the t-case, and front end?
        Last edited by mudslinger169; 01-23-04, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I would think you might have to remove the tranny. Research what type of transmissions each has if you can, if they are the same i would think you could just swap the T-case onto the back. But the transmission on the 4wd jeep might have a different mounting pattern on the back. I would want be be sure so i would put the transmission on that came with the 4wd just to be safe. Maybe if you pull off the back end of the 2wd transmisssion you might be able to bolt it right on i dont know. Also the gear rations might be different in the Transmissions. Plus i think you would want to make sure the gear ratio in the front axle matches that in the back.
          B R E T T

Comment

you need the transmission, transfer case, front axle, both driveshafts, computer[i think] vacuum hoses to the transfer case. i think that is about it.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Wow. Not that difficult. The springs for the front will match up. Slap the front axle in. Use the tranny and t-case that are together in the 4x4. Obviously, the 2wd tranny has a tailshaft on it for the driveshaft. Make life easier. Use the driveshafts from the 4wd, this will save money, you won't have to have any of them cut or lengthened. You will need to worry about the vacuum connection for the front, unless you get a aftermarket cable assembly, that allows you to know that the front axle is positively engaged, OR if you are one of the lucky ones, the 4wd might have a Non-Disconnect front axle.

Don't worry about the computer. Don't worry about tranny ratios, they are the same if they are both autos. DO worry about the axle ratios this is important.

You shouldn't have to cut any of the floor, if I'm not mistaken the whole is already there, it's just not cut into the center console.

The bodies for the 2wd and 4wd were the same. The suspension was the same. As was the Wheelbase.

This is a fairly straight forward conversion. You are lucky.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Erik

P.S. I forgot to mention that you can probably get some really good info on North American XJ Association. NAXJA It's a site for nothing but XJ owners.

Comment

Sweet!...Thanks. And i'll be sure to keep you posted.

As of right now i got it in the garage so im gonna do some dumb little stuff then im probably going to start working on the conversion.

Once again i'll be sure to keep you posted!
                Last edited by mudslinger169; 01-23-04, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Just a thought: would it be easier to fix-up the donor vehicle? What kind of shape is it in? If it's not wrecked, you may want to examine this a s a possibility. It doesn't sound like you've done much of this kind of stuff (no offense meant; and I realize that everyone has to start somewhere), but when faced with a project of this size and scope, sometimes the beginner should take the path of least resistance...

Comment

haha i am taking the path of less resistance. The donor vehicle has no doors, no engine, and the interior is junk. Everything else with the driveline is fine to my knowledge and to the knowledge of the guy i got it off of.

Comment

Working...
                    X