• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAILER341
    replied
    Originally posted by blkTJ
    awesome Erik!!! couple questions...

How was the install (atlas)? didn't seem like you had any problems.

How much did it change your driveshaft length? are you getting the old ones resized or getting new ones?

I gotta say... I'm envious!!!:yay:
    brian, it gained about 3.5" in the back, and lost about the same in the front with the driveshafts. the install was really pretty easy. i clocked the atlas as far as it would go with their clocking ring, but as you can see in the photos, it (the skid) still needed a bit of clearancing. nth degree sent me a plate designed for the clearancing for the atlas, but it had some lips that i was afraid would hang me up on the rocks, so we decided to manipulate the skid with some heat, and a BFH. if this heated manipulation doesnt hold up to the abuse, i can always revert back to their part. but in the mean time i think this will do just fine. this nth degree skid is a heavy duty piece! 1/4" stuff.
    back to the atlas... it was a really easy install. out with the old, and in with the new, is pretty much how it was. the linkage is very easy to install. i havent quite finished the pretty stuff inside, but it will be easy to do. i have to add a bit of sheet metal to fill in a bit of open area, and install the boots.
    DRIVESHAFTS: i have a deal worked out with a driveshaft maker for some great prices on custom driveshafts. once i get mine i will look at, and test the quality, then be happy to get others the same great deal on these things. i'll keep you posted on them.
    i will be getting both new shafts, built heavy duty, and clearance ground to prevent binding. i am currently checking his price to lengthen my existing driveshafts for spares.

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    Looks good! I want one!

But what is the story with you having to add the gussets? For the price those guys charge, you would think they would finish the job. Or was this one of those "hey, dont put the gussets in because I am putting in a t-case that the skid isn't designed for" kind of deal?

They say that they can get my 241 completely flat with a 1" body lift....but if I'm gonna have to do 1/2 the work anyway, I'll just do the whole darn thing and save myself the $400. I'll just be sure to not park close enough for people to compare the welds....'cause mine usually aren't quite as perty as the ones Chris put down.

Leave a comment:

• igofshn
    replied
    Be careful.. 4lo and 1st gear will be hell on the brakes (even if they do hold it still).

Leave a comment:

• blkTJ
    replied
    awesome Erik!!! couple questions...

How was the install (atlas)? didn't seem like you had any problems.

How much did it change your driveshaft length? are you getting the old ones resized or getting new ones?

I gotta say... I'm envious!!!:yay:

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    i ordered them when i got back in the house.SOON! SOON!

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    looks good man! Get those driveshafts and lets get that thing in the ROCKS!!!
    Last edited by JeepGal; 01-21-04, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    we had to slightly modify the shape of the skid to fit the atlas without touching the skid.

here is how the gussets lay out on the skid... this think is STOUT!

here is an example of one of "dukes" fine looking welds.

here is a shot of the inside with the dual shifters.. this is a "dry fit" shot. there is still some work to do here. more to come in this area.

a bit of clean up, knocking the razor sharp edges down on the gussets.

add a bit of color, and some rust protection

looking pretty flat under there!

look at er' all shiny and new.

i think she likes it!
    Last edited by NAILER341; 01-20-04, 09:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sully
    replied
    You two nutz!Looks good and nice job!

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    well, here are some pics.

first, i drained the fluids, and removed the skid plate for easy access to everything.

out with the old transfer case.

shiny new atlas ready to go to its new home... first i had to work out the shifting linkage, and some other minor parts needed to be installed.

in she goes... i think i'm going to name er' addy... i dont know why

now for the nth degree skid plate.. this thing is a very well made skid.

here is a shot of the "duke" in his element.
    thanks for your help!

doing a bit of "clearancing" to the skid for the atlas to fit properly.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 01-20-04, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    well, the atlas is in! pics and a writ eup to come

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    it is the 5.0 gear reduction. i figured what the hell. i think it will work out nice, but i will probably have to put it in 4 high once in a while on the smoother trails.

Leave a comment:

• brian4.2
    replied
    Very Cool! What ratio? I just did the nth degree, that part was a piece of cake.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Its about damn time!!! Get working on that thing!

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    started a topic atlas finally got here

atlas finally got here

well after waiting for over 2 months, this atlas finally got here! yay! i guess the earthquake slowed things down for them, since paso robles is the epi-center.
    this will be the thread for my atlas install, as well as the nth degree tummy tucker.
    more to come
Working...
X