Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rick
    replied
    Have you checked the timing with a light?

You will not be able to guess the timing unless you have someone rotate the distributor in tiny increments while cranking to make sure you have covered a range. In that process, you could foul the plugs up with gas, making it difficult to start even when you rotate past the "good" timing spot. Carb cleaner or ether will ignite more easily than gasoline, so the timing could be way off. You really need a timing light to set the timing anyhow, so you might as well get one. All four plugs can fire their electrodes off, but if they are not firing at the right time, it won't start. A light is probably not much more money than a carb rebuild kit. You'll probably end up buying a light after you spend four hours rebuilding the carb because it will run like crap if you are off even a few degrees... and that's assuming rebuilding the carb even makes it start.

Get it to start first, then look at the carb. Even a wasted carb should be able to start the engine, although it may run like junk.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by JeepJunkie
    Would it be worth it to buy a new Carb or could i get it rebuilt?
    I think rebuild kits are cheap enough. Might as well give it a shot. I dont think thats the problem, but it could be adding to the problem.

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    Would it be worth it to buy a new Carb or could i get it rebuilt?

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    im pretty convinced i have the timing right. Today i tried pouring gas into the barrel of the carb and i got the same old sound. I fugured what the heck and i sprayed a pretty good amound of carb cleaner, and i actually got some good sound. It sounded like it fired 2 or 3 times then the spray was used up. So i kept using more and more and it kept getting better and better. Unfortunately it never started, for one i ran out of spray. Could the carb be bad? I know its getting gas, i had my dads friend help me and he disconnected the fuel line and said gas was flowing. My car was sitting for who knows how long before i bought it, but it did run when i got it. Since ive had it, its been sitting a couple months. Could my gas be bad, could condensation form inside the tank if it just sits for a couple months. Or has 19 years of crap in the tank finally caught up with me?

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    A new cap and rotor doesnt really "help" timing, but it helps in getting the most spark at the plug. Toss a timing light on it. You may still have the Distributor off a tooth.

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    Also, maybe im missing something but other than being new and clean how does a new cap and rotor help the timing, or does it?

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    All the plugs are firing and i can smell the gas so i have spark and i have fuel. So other than that my timing must be either way off which i doubt because it sounds so close to starting or my cap is bad.

I didnt know the timing light worked when the engine didnt run, but ill try that tomorrow if i can get a light.

Leave a comment:

• sarah
    replied
    Put a timing light on it before buying anything. If the timing is way off, even if the distributor is indexed correctly, it may not start.
    --Rick :shades:

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukes69
    Are you getting a spark? Does it do anything? spit, spudder, backfire?
    I am getting spark, at least in the #1 plug i pulled it out and cranked and it looked nice and sparky. I shoulda probaby checked the others too. From what i hear i would say it sounds like one piston is firing which i assume isnt enough to get the engine going. Luckily it doesnt backfire so i dont think the timing is real bad. I guess one or two of the connections could be bad? if thats true would cleaning them up help or would i want to get a new cap and rotor. And how much would i expect to pay for those parts?

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    I found what i thought was TDC and the distributor cap was way off. So i pulled it out and got it to go back in very close the the #1 spot. Also for good measure i went out and got new plug wires. When i tried starting it up it just wouldnt do it i got the same sound as before. Could the whole Dist Cap be bad? Or is there something else i can try before buying a new one?
    Are you getting a spark? Does it do anything? spit, spudder, backfire?

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    replied
    I found what i thought was TDC and the distributor cap was way off. So i pulled it out and got it to go back in very close the the #1 spot. Also for good measure i went out and got new plug wires. When i tried starting it up it just wouldnt do it i got the same sound as before. Could the whole Dist Cap be bad? Or is there something else i can try before buying a new one?

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Re: Bad Timing

There is one problem, im a little unclear about checking and changing the timing. To figure this out i was told to take the number one spark plug out and cover the hole with my finger to feel when it starts compressing. After that you move the distrubutor cap around? I dunno im confused about this stuff so thats why im asking.

The finger thing is partially right. That is used to find TDC (Top Dead Center). Turn the engine over by hand, NOT with the key. When the engine is at TDC the rotor should be pointing(or close) to the number one plug wire on the cap. If its not pointed any where near the number one wire, then you have the distributor gear off a tooth or two. Adjust if necessary. With that said, try and start the Jeep. If it starts, Cool. If not have some one slowly rotate the distributor in one direction then the other. Hopefully if will start. If it doesnt, the it sounds like you have other problems. If it does start, whip out the timing light and adjust the timing to the factory spec. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• JeepJunkie
    started a topic Bad Timing

Bad Timing

I bought a new battery, a new starter, a new solenoid, and new spark plugs. When i turn the key all i get is the sound of the starter turning the engine and it trying to start. I know im getting fuel, so i think the timing is off. There is one problem, im a little unclear about checking and changing the timing. To figure this out i was told to take the number one spark plug out and cover the hole with my finger to feel when it starts compressing. After that you move the distrubutor cap around? I dunno im confused about this stuff so thats why im asking.
Working...
X