Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• igofshn
    replied
    I never looked at the date. Someone else brought it back to the top.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by igofshn
    Drive shaft would be way too long.
    Hey Al, Welcome to 2004

Leave a comment:

• igofshn
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukes69
    I just thought of something . . . I know you have a fixed yoke at the t-case. With that being the case, you can buy the CV part at any Napa. I dont see why you just couldnt replace the t-case u-joint with the new CV unit. Maybe I'm missing something, but that might work . . . eh?

I *Think* I have seen RE 3.5 SF kits on the net for $500 or so, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. I dont really know what it includes, but I think its fairly complete (with the exception or trackbars, I believe). A mix and match kit might be the best for you.
    Drive shaft would be way too long.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by loop choke
    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to be sure. I ordered the RE 3.5" lift with the Tcase drop kit. I should be OK with this....correct? I am talking about vibes. I shouldn't run into any problems right? I don't think so but I just need a little reassurance. My Jeep only has 1500 miles on it and I don't want to have to start replacing DS or any other joints or anything. Let me know. Oh...........you guys rock!!!!!

Thanx

Jason
    Every Jeep is Different. But at 3.5 inches its almost a givin. IMHO T-case drops are just band-aids, I would only keep it on there untill you can afford to fix the problem.

Leave a comment:

• loop choke
    replied
    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to be sure. I ordered the RE 3.5" lift with the Tcase drop kit. I should be OK with this....correct? I am talking about vibes. I shouldn't run into any problems right? I don't think so but I just need a little reassurance. My Jeep only has 1500 miles on it and I don't want to have to start replacing DS or any other joints or anything. Let me know. Oh...........you guys rock!!!!!

Thanx

Jason

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by goodtimes
    And I can't just swap out a single cardan joint for a double, the shaft would be too long.
    Even if you lift? I would think that the added length of the double cardan would be canceled out by the added suspension lift. Maybe I'm missing something? Would it still be too long?

Leave a comment:

• sarah
    replied
    PM jim79cj7 ... he might have a used one -- he's got all kinds of used parts from installing lift kits.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by PondScum

How's it done on TJ's?

I'm just curious, i know when i did my 1st SYE/CV i was rather annoyed to learn that even with the new highspeed SYE, and custom built driveshaft my pinion angle was still terrible and i still had vibes.
    Adjustable upper and/or lower control arms. Screw um in and out to change the length and dial in the proper pinion angle.

Leave a comment:

• igofshn
    replied
    Cam bolts blow. I wouldn't waste my money (again). I tried them. Adjustable uppers are the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• king4wd
    replied
    Pinion angle on TJs

It is my understanding that the pinion angle on TJs can be adjusted through the application of cam bolts( at the control arm/axle junction) and/or adjustable control arms. Most "Flex" type kits offer one or the other either as standard equipment or sometimes both as an added cost option. For example Teraflex 4" system comes with adjustable lower arms standard. R. E. and Trailmaster offer adjustable lower arms as an option. Skyjacker offers pinion cam bolts as an option, with adjustable arms standard on the more expesive "flex" series, and Superlift offers both cambolts and adjustable arms standard on their "rockrunner" lift. It all depends on how much you want to spend and who you want to pay it to.

Leave a comment:

• PondScum
    replied
    Somewhat OT, but related to this:

How exactly do you guys adjust your rear pinions to get a good driveline angle?

On the YJ's you can either take off the old spring perches and weld on new ones at the correct angle or just install degree shims.

How's it done on TJ's?

I'm just curious, i know when i did my 1st SYE/CV i was rather annoyed to learn that even with the new highspeed SYE, and custom built driveshaft my pinion angle was still terrible and i still had vibes.

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    Originally posted by igofshn
    I got vibes on mine when I originally had 2" spacers. I used washers for my tcase. I am the type that doesn't accept any vibes. Vibes are bad. Lots of expensive damage is done by even the smallest of vibes.
    I know. I don't like them either. Too much $$$ can go out the window when you start eating bearings.

Leave a comment:

• igofshn
    replied
    I got vibes on mine when I originally had 2" spacers. I used washers for my tcase. I am the type that doesn't accept any vibes. Vibes are bad. Lots of expensive damage is done by even the smallest of vibes.

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukes69
    I just thought of something . . . I know you have a fixed yoke at the t-case. With that being the case, you can buy the CV part at any Napa. I dont see why you just couldnt replace the t-case u-joint with the new CV unit. Maybe I'm missing something, but that might work . . . eh?

I *Think* I have seen RE 3.5 SF kits on the net for $500 or so, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. I dont really know what it includes, but I think its fairly complete (with the exception or trackbars, I believe). A mix and match kit might be the best for you.
    If I use a CV shaft, I have to have adjustable arms (either upper or lower...preferrably upper) to adjust the pinion angle. And I can't just swap out a single cardan joint for a double, the shaft would be too long. The problem with the 3.5" superflex is that it doesn't come with adjustable uppers, only fixed lowers, and no track bars. By the time you add in the cost of the uppers and track bars, you are at the same price as the 4.5" SF.

I am not really encouraged though. If everyone seems to be getting vibes around 2.5", there is no way I'm gonna get away with 3.5".:mad:

Oh well, I guess I gotta do it right then.....

Leave a comment:

• blkTJ
    replied
    the 2.25" (true 2.25, not that rancho crap) setup I had on with 31s caused me vibes. Sarah put it on her Jeep and it caused her vibes. I'd say bite the bullit and get a driveshaft. my $.02.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X