Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self install SYE

I got friday off and am going to use the whole day to put in my AA SYE and tom woods DS. I'm mechanically.................able.I've been reading a whole bunch of right ups , got some snap ring pliers and other tools, and feel I should do well.If anyone is close to Venice and feels like helping out it would'nt hurt (HEEEEEELP!!!!). But seriously that would be cool. Or any write ups that could be posted. Thanx.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Google is your friend

Installing the Advance Adapter SYE for the NP231
    Advance Adapter's Instruction PDF
    SYE install tips
    Last edited by jmbrowning; 12-11-03, 08:31 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Right on.

Comment

glad to hear you have some heavy duty snap-ring pliers, i did a AA SYE once without them and it made me cry.

Don't laugh, but no where in the instructions does it mention the blue plastic cover that is over the shaft, it's just a protector for the shaft, but when i first installed one of these kits i spent a good hour on the phone trying to figure out if it's just a cover or if it's needed for the install. When you have the TC out and apart the last thing you want to do is install something that isn't supose to be there or not install something you need.....heheh.

You WILL need a bearing press to get off the 2 bearings if you have one or know where to go to get this done then nevermind.
        If not, i'd start calling around locally. I found a driveline place in my area and they would have got the bearings off for me for around $20, i just went to one of my shops at work and did it there for free instead.

I'm not real sure why, but i don't remember the JB SYE needing the 2 bearings to be pressed off, but i know i had to do it on the 2 SYE kits i've installed that were from AA....
        Last edited by PondScum; 12-12-03, 01:14 PM.
        [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
        AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
        15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
        33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
        FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
        Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
        RE Hand Throttle
        Optima Red Top
        K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by PondScum

You WILL need a bearing press to get off the 2 bearings if you have one or know where to go to get this done then nevermind.
          If not, i'd start calling around locally. I found a driveline place in my area and they would have got the bearings off for me for around $20, i just went to one of my shops at work and did it there for free instead.

I'm not real sure why, but i don't remember the JB SYE needing the 2 bearings to be pressed off, but i know i had to do it on the 2 SYE kits i've installed that were from AA....
          Your talking about getting the needle bearings off the old output shaft right?

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
            Your talking about getting the needle bearings off the old output shaft right?

Correct.

33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
            RE Hand Throttle
            Optima Red Top
            K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Done. A few hours here, a few hours there.But finally Sat 11:20pm I finished her.Still got vibes but I think the pinion angle is still off a hair.No sweat, I'm just glad to get everthing together again.

Comment

Did a little write up Check it out
                SYE write up

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                  Did a little write up Check it out
                  SYE write up
                  Good write up, nicely done. I'm amazed you got off the 2 needle bearings with a dull chisel, mine wouldn't budge without a press.

31. I replaced my rear u-joint straps with u-bolts
                  Did you just drill out your straps to make room for the u-bolts?

I went to u-bolts as well, but i replaced my rear pinion yoke with a new one from Spicer that is designed for u-bolts:
                  P/N: 2-4-4601-1.
                  It was around $50. I did alot of reading about just drilling them out and some people claim it will weaken the yoke. My yoke was banged up pretty bad to begin with so replacing it was a logical choice for me.

33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                  RE Hand Throttle
                  Optima Red Top
                  K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

I screwed out the exsisting holes with a 5/16 drill bit. I saw that, yes, it might weaken the yoke but after I drilled the holes. It was a really snug fit with the u-bolts also.Luckily I bought a second set of u-bolts by accident that I went through figuring out how to make them fit! :confused: But the second set worked out.Just dealing with the pinion angle now, gonna shim it til I upgrade my axle but that wont be til the end of this year. All this $$ and then Xmas STRAPPED me .

Got some 32" BGF MT's too

Comment

Working...
                    X